Color shifting still exists with NEX-5N?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by andywu, Oct 1, 2011.

1. andywu

andywu New to TalkEmount

Oct 1, 2011
    I've been looking at using the NEX-5N with some wide angle rangefinder lenses (specifically looking at either the Zeiss 21mm f/4.5 or Zeiss 18mm f/4.0). Does anyone know whether the color shifting issue still exists if I try to use this lens or if the new NEX has new microlenses to solve this issue?

I'd like to use a 5N as a portable landscape camera, but I would like more options than the 16mm or kit lens.

2. Vorkhosdn

Vorkhosdn TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 22, 2011
    I think the NEX-5N and NEX-7 sensors have an optimized microlenses design for avoiding colour shifting an improve performance on corners with rangefinder-like wide lenses. But I have no idea about how effective it is. I'm also very interested on this question as I would like to use somethinng similar to the Heliars 12mm or 15mm.
  3. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
  4. Vorkhosdn

Vorkhosdn TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 22, 2011
    Actually I thought the NEX-C3 microlenses were not optimized for wide angle lenses with short focal flange distance, or at least the press release and the reviews I read didn't say anything. It seems quite a big improvement over the NEX-3 & 5. Thanks for the links!
  5. pictor

pictor New to TalkEmount

Sep 8, 2011
    While the C3 and the 5N share the same sensor, the 7 has a different 24mp sensor.