Close Up Filter vs Extension Tube for MD 35-70 f/3.5 (non-macro)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Synomis192, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Synomis192

Synomis192 TalkEmount Regular

May 26, 2013
    I purchased an MD 35-70mm f/3.5 for $30 and I have not been disappointed with it. Love the constant aperture, very sharp even with my Lens Turbo attached to it, and it's a focal length that I love to deal with. Not too wide and not too long.

Unfortunately, this lens does not have the 1:7/1:4 macro mode that the new version has. I don't do macro a lot, but the MFD is really long for my taste (1m). It's good for working with 70mm but when working with 35mm it gets kind of annoying. Is there a way to shorten the MFD whether it'd be from a Close Up Filter or an extension tube? I'm just looking for a way to decrease the MFD.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    For what you want (shorter MFD rather than macro) I think a short extension tube is probably your best bet. The close up filter is more macro than short MFD.

3. Synomis192

May 26, 2013
    Thanks for the heads up. By short extension tube do you have an example? Something like a 12mm extension tube? If so I could just buy a set of MD extension tubes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TalkEmount mobile app

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I second extension tube but suggest a E mount one and with contacts. That way it will work with all your lenses.

Here is extension calculator:
    http://www.mystd.de/album/calculator/

5. Synomis192

May 26, 2013
    Fun fact: I actually don't have a native E-Mount lens anymore :3 sold the kit lens to fund the Lens Turbo haha

Sorry forgot to mention that haha. So in my case, would the MD mount be more beneficial or still stick to an e mount extension

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    MD extension tubes are very cheap (10 USD) and E-mount ones with contacts cost 40 USD. You won't have any benefit from later. I will get one with contacts after Christmas. I have 3 macro lenses but I am thinking to get sigma 60mm (or Contax 50mm/1.7 or both) after Christmas and I think that may be good combo.

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Even if you never plan to use an e mount lens in the future it makes sense to get the e mount extension tube because it goes between the camera and any lens adapter you might use. Cheaper that way. ;)

If you get an MD tube and buy another long MFD lens in a different mount then you'd need to buy a tube in that mount. Get the e mount tube and you only need that tube (or set of tubes) for any lens that you might want to use.

And yes, a tube in the 10-12mm range will work fine.

8. Synomis192

May 26, 2013
    Mmm that's a good point. But I'm already set on investing in MD glass for now. I really don't want to make it seem like my Lens Turbo went to waste by buying different mounts. But since extension tubes are cheap for both mounts, might as well get them both haha.

9. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I suppose an E-mount extension ring is more expensive than a Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 with the macro option! So I'd simply go for the 35-70/3.5 macro, you can always recuperate part of the cost by selling off the other 35-70.

10. Synomis192

May 26, 2013
    Really?! I can't find an MD 35-70 MACRO for less that $75 in the US. Its actually very hard to find on eBay. I just pulled the trigger on this lens as soon as saw it because if how hard it is to find.

11. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    On eBay you always pay a premium price. I think with a little patience I'd be able to get one here in Holland on a local auction site for around € 30, they're often sold together with a camera by people cleaning up the mess in the attic.

12. Synomis192

May 26, 2013
    If you ever find an MD 35-70mm Macro, I would like to buy it from you! Only if you're offering though, don't want to be greedy since I already have an MD 35-70 :D

13. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Will be looking out for one, just sent you a PM.

14. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Just know that 35-70/3.5 Macro isn't really a macro lens, rather a close focus lens. If you want to use it for macro, still need the tubes.

I was able to find mine for $45, but I had to drive 30 miles to get it.

15. Synomis192

May 26, 2013
    I'm aware that the lens is not a true macro and that's okay haha. I just want to get a shorter MFD for the lens.

16. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Now I come to think of it, extension rings often don't go well together with zoom lenses. The operation and performance of a zoom lens critically depends on the distance between the lens mount and the sensor. So maybe it's a better idea to experiment with close-up lenses. Incidentally, this also holds true for some fixed-focal-length lenses with complex internal focussing, especially with shorter focal lenghts.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Interesting, I've never run into that issue. Learn something new everyday! :)

18. Synomis192

May 26, 2013
    I'll try the extension tube first. I feel that sticking a close up filter in front of the lens will give me too much close up shots. Also extension tubes won't really break the bank haha. I feel good close up filters will be about $25+ while an MD extension set is less than $10.

I'll be going to my local camera show to find some hidden gems such as filters, extension tubes. Let me know what else I should be on the look out for!