1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Climbing the learning curve...could not have done this last year.

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Jul 14, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    07/13/15 - 11:30 pm
    Getting ready for bed last night I glanced out into the back yard, saw these 3 Whitetail Bucks bedded down 30 feet from the kitchen window…had to try a shot.
    Low pale light from dusk to dawn yard lights, and shot through two panes of window glass.
    Lens braced against the inside window & elbows / shoulders against the window sill / frame.
    Canon FDn 85/1.8 wide open on NEX-7.
    AP mode and AMB (Anti Motion Blur)…ended up at ISO6400 and 1/13.
    Amazed the shot turned out as well as it did with practically no light to speak of.
    ( AMB is amazing by itself...seems to "make" light ! )

SOOC JPEG

AFTER SOME TWEAKS IN POST

• Like Like x 3
  2. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    You're going to have to post 'No Hunting' signs around your yard soon if this keeps up.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    PS:
    And just to be clear about my comments of climbing the learning curve, I'm not even remotely suggesting the final result is any great IQ.
    Was only trying to make the point that last year I would have looked out there and not even bothered trying.
    The uniqueness of the 3 bedded Bucks, and the learned ability to salvage anything at all, is what makes it a memorable keeper for me...

• Like Like x 2
  4. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    Get yourself a tripod if you don't already have one and set it up.
    Even a long exposure of a second or so isn't going to have much movement and you'll be able to lower the ISO to avoid the noise.

5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I have 3, LOL.....but from experience I didn't dare risk taking the time to set one up...one nearby dog barking in the neighborhood and they'd have been on their feet, spoiling the shot.
    And when using AMB, it dictates ISO & Shutter.

Wouldn't have tried it as a pure manual LE shot...would have ended up with some blurred ears that are constantly twitching in every direction to any little sound...a blurred head as it was turning to investigate a specific sound or scent on the breeze, etc