Clearwater Beach Florida

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by fractal, Aug 19, 2015.

1. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Here are some photos from my trip last week to Clearwater Beach. These were all taken with my NEX-7, shot in RAW and processed in Lightroom. I rented a SEL 10-18 f/4 for this trip (first time I rented a lens). Overall I enjoyed the wide perspective so much that I never bothered to use my 8mm fisheye. When processing the shots however I noticed the lens had some difficulty which high contrast area, especially the highlights. In reality, it was mostly my fault when setting exposure but I don't have that issue with my Zony 24mm. I am now considering purchasing the SEL 10-18.

i-mNZjnB7-XL.

This was a handheld HDR using the +-3 bracketed shutter. I managed to stay still enough, with a big assist from the bright sun. It was admittedly processed heavily in Photomatix and LR.

i-mfRLtQw-XL.

Loved the yellow umbrellas;

i-4V7fVv9-XL.

i-7gnb36t-XL.

long exposure shot showing the view from the back of our rented condo.

i-SdQBLgm-XL.

and the same shot at night...

i-M8Ts7b2-XL.
    Everyone likes to complain about shooting under a "harsh sun" but it is nice setting the ISO to 100 and forgetting it. This was @ 14mm f/5.6 and 1/1250 sec.

i-45FLpht-XL.

another lifeguard and stand...

i-5kvbJzT-XL.

some more on the beach...

i-wMw55fG-XL.

i-bpXGWzg-XL.

and some shots as the sun was dropping...

i-xM8P54b-XL.

i-d7L7hst-XL.

i-FXGnm3T-XL.

We enjoyed our week in Clearwater Beach. I wish the summer water in the Gulf of Mexico was just a bit cooler but some great memories were made and I had a blast with my camera.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Looks like some great shots, colors seemed spot on...thought the very last shot was a fitting conclusion to the series

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Digging the first yellow umbrella shot! That 10-18 lens sure is one the gems of the "crop sensor" e-mount lineup.

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Wow, excellent series of photos, love 'em all !!!
    Love the wide angle perspective and the colors are great (very vivid) ;)

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Impressive shots, lovely beach

6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Very nice! I'm jonesing for this lens as I miss having a UWA zoom with the Sony. Loved the Sigma 10-20 on my old Canon DSLR.
    In the shots with blue sky, I see the blues aren't consistent across the sky. Is that vignetting from the lens, or is it from a CPL on there?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Thanks! I added some vignetting in PP. I didn't notice it being a major "problem" before processing. I'll try to find an example without PP.

8. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Very nice set. Love the colors. I think my favorite is the first shot of the umbrellas, but hard to choose. I just recently purchased a copy of the 10-18 and sold my 16mm with UWA. I'm looking forward to using it on my upcoming vacation.

9. ggibson

ggibson TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    Great shots, nice post-processing! I agree, the 10-18mm is a neat little lens.