1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cleaning a manual lens inside?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Grisu_HDH, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Hi NEXians.
    Noticed some dust in my Sigma Macro MD 50 today... :-(
    Do you think it is cleanable somehow?
    Does it make financial sense to bring it to a photo shop for cleaning (paid 50€)?
    :doh:

2. lattiboy

lattiboy TalkEmount Regular

Jan 27, 2012
    It is generally QUITE an undertaking to clean a manual lens. Especially a macro lens which has a lot of elements. There are a handful of places that charge fair rates in the states, but a lot of local shops really gouge you. If the dust isn't effecting your pictures it's best to not worry about it.

People get worked up about dust and fungus and coating marks, but it almost never had a tangible effect on IQ.

Just my two cents...

3. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    I don't find it very hard to take apart and clean most legacy lenses. Although if it's just dust, why not try the easy thing first. Use a vacuum cleaner.

4. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    A noob can really disemble a lens, clean it and build it back together???

5. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    Check out this video of a tear down for a Pentax 50mm lens. Most lenses are very similar. The hardest part is getting the focus ring to line up right again. Even marking everything, it's tedious. If you are going to do it, I would invest $6(USD) on a set of JIS screwdrivers since you'll be working on a Japanese lens. JIS screws look a lot like philips screws but they aren't. It's easy to cap out a JIS screw using a philips screwdriver. You can also try to file down the tip of a philips but it's less than ideal.

Like I said though, if it's dust. I would try a vacuum cleaner first.

6. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Thanks for the video. I'll have a look at that.

And sorry for my yilly question, but what do you mean with the vacuum cleaner? Does this work when the lens is not disembles?? How?

7. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Well, in my case I dusted the Industar 69, Industar-50, and the Rokkor 50mm f/1.4 without any problem, although I take too long to put all the pieces together again, it was fun, so try¡¡¡¡ .Some stores charge you between 35-50 bucks, so it's not worth it if the lens is cheaper, just be very patient if you going to clean the lens.

8. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    You'll need a vacuum cleaner with a hose. Stick the end of the hose over the rear of the lens. Work the focus a bit as the vacuum is going. You want the vacuum as far away from the lens as possible when you are doing this to keep the lens from sucking in dust. For the same reason you want the air around the lens as clean as possible.

9. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Sure. I have cleaned a couple of lenses. Everybody has to start somewhere. A little dust won't affect anything and you will probably get more dust into lens when cleaning.

One of my clean-up projects wasn't success. One of lenses has its multicoating very bad shape (fungus eats it sometimes). Unfortunately that lens (Sakar 135mm/2.5 macro) is pretty rare.

Last lens fix was lubing aperture lever in Vivitar series 1 70-210mm/3.5. Paid 26.50 GBP for it and that lubing took maybe 15 minutes. Unfortunately I did lose a small bearing ball so the lens is now click-less.