1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Clarification for Video Nyophyte please

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by roundball, Apr 6, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Still new to video and crawling up the learning curve...looking through Sony's owner's manual / handbook for the NEX-7, I can't seem to find absolute statements that clarifies something for me.

Normally, setting ISO and using my legacy Canon FD lenses in Aperture mode, the camera reads the available light coming in and sets the shutter speed...no problem...and I can tweak ISO and/or aperture to affect the light to influence the shutter speed if I want to, etc.

BUT...what about Video mode on the NEX-7 ?
    Does all that still hold true the same as if I was shooting a still...or does the Video feature do its own thing...possibly in conjunction with the whole frame rate thing, etc ??

My gut tells me the ISO / Aperture setting should still influence the shutter speed the same for both still and video...light is light, and if using legacy lenses there's no other automation that's involved...but I cannot for the life of me find absolute clarity in Sony's documentation.

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    You should always set the shutter speed at double the value of the frame rate to get smooth motion, i.e. 1/50 of a second for 25p and 1/100th of a second for 50p. Just control the brightness with ISO and aperture in manual mode.

• Like Like x 1
  3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    OK, then that shouldn't really ever be a problem...doubt I'd ever be shooting video in light so low I wouldn't at least have a shutter speed equal to the reciprocal of the focal length. And videos I'm interested in for the foreseeable future will be some kind of wildlife video where I'd be using teles...business as usual is always tinkering with ISO & Aperture to try and keep the minimum shutter at least up in the 1/200 - 1/400 range on overcast days, faster of course on brighter days.

4. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Oh, I was not talking about focal length, but rather about how many frames a second you shoot. For smooth motion, shutter speed also must not be any faster, as that will cut off some movements.

5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I knew you weren't talking about focal length, that was just my way of describing how I was sure I'd always have plenty of shutter speed, because I always used a SS at least the reciprocal of the lenses I used for wildlife, all of which were teles ( over 100mm ).

But now I just caught that you seem to be saying exactly double the frame rate...initially I had misunderstood you to mean at least twice as fast as the frame rate...now I see you're saying exactly 2X the frame rate...thanks

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    OK, blind is set up in an area I've found that's frequented by wild turkeys... going out at first light tomorrow morning to see if I can get a video.
    Using the 60i NEX-7...1/125 shutter...Canon FD 50-135...Rode Mic...hopefully something will show up.

7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    If you can, use the progressive AVCHD video mode instead of the interlaced MP4 one, quality is much better that way. For "true motion", use 25p, if you plan to slow it down a bit in post, use 60p.

8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    For this little experimental test a few weeks ago, I was using the standard AVCHD / default settings on the NEX-7, ISO400, Canon FD 400mm/4.5, on a cloudy rainy day...don't recall what the shutter was as I shoot Aperture mode, but it wouldn't have been super fast under those conditions.