Clarification about post comments that the NEX-7 overheats when shooting video ??

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by roundball, Mar 1, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    I've seen a few comments about the NEX-7 over-heating when shooting video and was wondering if anyone with actual hands-on NEX-7 video experience could provide some clarification about the circumstances, how long until it overheats, what happens when it does overheat, how long to cool down so it can operate again, etc.

I'm getting ready to experiment with / learn about video basics using my NEX-7 mainly because the feature is already'll be occasional wildlife shots...birds, deer, turkey, ducks...and a typical video would probably only last for 2-3 minutes at a time, thanks.
  2. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    Interesting there are no replies from hands-on experience with this so far,
    I have this posted of a few different forums and not a single confirmation yet about a chronic overheat problem.

Maybe this claim was one of those things where somebody made a post one time then a bunch of people simply repeated what they'd read over time...seems to happen a lot of all sorts of forums...but it's still early, will see what comes out of the woodwork over the next few days.
  3. Azon

Azon TalkEmount Regular

Jul 31, 2013
    If your videos would be 2-3 even 5-10 minutes don't bother yourself thinking about overheating.
  4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    Your reply is what my instincts were telling me but I wanted to throw it out to the brain trust for reassurance...wouldn't be much of a NEX-7 feature if a simple 5-10 minute video couldn't be made...thanks
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Ya, those complaining about overheating are taking long videos.
  6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    Good...and I understand the NEX-7 is "not a video camera".....just think it's neat that it also happens to have a video function.
    I shot a little 2-3 minute video of a wild turkey back during deer hunting season and it seemed to do fine.

Been busy since the first of the year with major yard work...(had 24 - 90' tall pine trees taken down as they had gotten so big and were too close to the house) everything cleaned up yesterday and temps will start easing up here any day now, so I plan to start playing with / learning about it's video capabilities some more...
  7. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    On nex-5n you can lessen the overheating issue by flipping up the lcd monitor. That gives some room for the sensor's heat to dissipate. If it works with nex-5n it should also work for nex-7.

Sent from my LG-E440 using TalkEmount mobile app
  8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    Ahhh...good idea...more exposure to the air.

I guess the next mini accessory would be a tiny battery operated fan to blow air in behind the open LCD screen, LOL
  9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    Just ran some video experiments...this is going to be great.
    Not really knowing anything unique about shooting's a darkish, cloudy, dreary, rainy day.
    Just for the heck of it, I mounded the Canon FD 400/4.0 on the NEX-7 on the tripod, aperture priority / F8.0 / ISO1600 and let it fly on a bird feeder 20' out through the kitchen window...looked as real life as could be.
  10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    Experimenting and very surprised at how well this thing seems to work...800mm this time under poor conditions.

NEX-7 Video
    Canon FD 400mm/4.5 + Canon 2X Tele-Extender for 800mm / Tri-Pod
    ISO1600 / Aperture mode / F8.0

Shot through Kitchen window glass & storm window glass
    Dark, cloudy low light day, spitting rain / snow / sleet

Shutter speed very low from 1/60-1/120
    But had good depth of field / focus and action movements were all fluid and sharp

Put this example on Photobucket:

11. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    Clarification about post comments that the NEX-7 overheats when shooting vide...

Oddly, the type of ST card used can make a big difference whether the camera will overheat or not. I realize it sounds silly, but in my experience certain ST cards work much better. Of course it is typically the more expensive ones and the Sony brand ones that work the best! Very rarely have issues with my Lexar pro cards or Sony 90MB/s cards.
  12. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    Just now seeing this, sorry.

Well, hopefully there's something to that as the SD cards I happened to buy are:
    Lexar Professional 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I
  13. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    Just a 'for what its worth' update:

I've runs several back to back videos 19 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes, 7 minutes, etc...not the first indication of any problem so far.
  14. kmbahar

kmbahar TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 7, 2014
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Khairil M Bahar
    I used to have an NEX-7 which I'd use as a B or C camera when shooting interviews. It definitely overheats and from my experience this is how - I've found I can usually shoot about 15-23 minutes non-stop before it overheats (once or twice I've almost hit 30 minutes), depending on the location, with the longer periods in air-conditioned areas. However, after it stops recording the first time around, if you try and record again directly after you'll have shorter recording times, so if it overheats after 20 minutes and you try pressing record again, you may only get 3-5 minutes of recording, a lot of times less. It needs to cool down for a while before you can do another 20+ minute burst of recording. Even letting it cool down for 5 minutes will help get more recording time, but it would need a proper rest of half an hour or more before being able to do more than 20 minutes again. Hope this helps.
  15. DigitalBill

DigitalBill New to TalkEmount

May 12, 2014
    Think about it.
    I was using my NEX-7 to shoot a band in a club on Saturday night.
    After about four song videos of about 4-5 minutes each, a message came on the screen saying the camera overheated and would be shut down.
    I turned it off and shot for a while with my iPhone 5S (great video and audio, BTW), and returned shooting with the NEX for about another half-hour without incident.
    So the camera does overheat ... and that never has happened with my D4 and D7100.
    And I even stopped recording between songs, so the 'record engine' wasn't constantly running.
    I have no idea what the parameters for time to overheat are, but it truly sucks if you're in the middle of a great tune video and the camera dies.
    Don't get me wrong, I love the NEX-7, but it does have its limitations.
  16. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    Understand and agree on some limitations as well...I didn't even buy mine with video in mind...was just thrilled at the opportunity to bring my whole legacy Canon FD lens inventory out of the closet again and pick up where I left off back when film died out.
    The fact that the NEX-7 also happened to advertise video was just one of those 'Oh, OK' features out on the fringe that I mentally noted and then forgot about...then months later got curious enough to start looking into video...climbing the learning curve now, enjoying it so far.

Maybe we need a bottom attachment pack invented...(like a spare battery pack)...that is a "freeze sleeve".
  17. DigitalBill

May 12, 2014
    Well, it overheated again last night while shooting a band. Same scenario as before about four or five 3-to-5 minute songs, then it overheats and shuts down.

I'm using a Sandisk Ultra 32GB 30/MBs card, and that may be the problem. I also shoot with my rear screen elevated.

I like what I read about the Lexar Card about, and may try that, as I'd prefer to keep using the NEX-7 as opposed to my Nikon gear for live band videos.

I'll report back in the once I try another card.
  18. DigitalBill

May 12, 2014
    NEX-7 Video Record Overheating Problem -- SOLVED !

NEX-7 Video Over-Heating Cured !

Well, here's the scoop. I actually read the NEX-7 Manual on the topic. Imagine that !:big grin:

It recommends (of course) the Sony Memory Stick as a file media.

So I purchased a 32 GB Memory Stick PRO - HG Duo (MS-HX32B)

I ran a continuous video recording test, and the camera performed flawlessly until I stopped the test at 29 minutes-plus -- without overheating. The Manual says it can record for 29 minutes continuous, and I exceeded that standard.

Other cards may work with the NEX-7 without overheating.

But if you want to be more confident, I recommend the Sony Memory Stick that I used.

NEX-7 Continuous Video Record. Sony Memory Stick for Video.

19. DigitalBill

May 12, 2014
    NEX-7 Overheating AGAIN !

Sorry to report that my NEX-7 is overheating again -- even with the Memory Stick installed as always.

I was shooting a rock concert last night, and it would shut down after 3 to - 5 minutes of shooting.

The only thing that changed is that I was grabbing audio with a Rode Stereo Video Mic Pro on the hotshoe.

The Rode uses it's on onboard 9-volt power, so I don't think that was the issue.

I am now back in the annoyed/disappointed column.

Love the camera; hate the way it behaves badly.

20. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Bummer. I was so excited reading ur msg about the cure.

Scribed henceforth from thy G pad.