1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

CL find

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Amamba, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    So, I just bought two cameras and 6 lenses + a bunch of accessories on CL, sight unseen (other than a quick glance to make sure there wasn't obvious damage) for $30.

MD Mount
    • MD Rokkor-X 50/1.7.. of course. Just after I bought the MC version from eBay - knew this would happen. This one is 55mm filter, so not the latest / smallest one, but still noticeably lighter than that MC. Gives me the chance to compare them.
    • RMC Tokina 80-200/4. Never heard of it, and it won't lock in my adapter. Goes all the way, just doesn't lock in. Does any one know the possible fix ? Anyway, I don't know how good it is, Tokina's are tricky.
    Pentax PK/K Mount

I never used this mount, and have no slightest idea about the lenses I got. The adapter is on the way though, so will see. If you have any opinion on any of these lenses, please let me know.
    • SMC Pentax-M 50/2 - I assume it's a typical kit lens. It's quite a bit smaller and lighter than Minolta.
    • Tou/Five Star MC 28/2.8 - the cap says "Toyo Optics". The reviews seem to suggest it's a solid, sharp lens.
    • A 135/2.5 prime that says "Asahi Optical Co"on one side of the barrel , and Takumar (bayonet) on another. Feels solid and rather heavy. Has a pull-out shade.
    • Focal 80-200/4.5, most likely a good hammer but will see..

• Like Like x 1
  2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    The SMC Pentax-M 50-f2 is decent. The Pentax-M series was the 2nd K mount offering and they took a downsizing to complement the smaller SLR bodies. Almost pancake in size.
    IMO, the MD-III is a better performing 50-f2. There are a number of 50/55-f2 models I prefer over the Pentax-M.

Tou/Five Star 28-f2.8 is an excellent lens, I have the PK/A version which is probably what you have. NOTE: Some PK/A mount lens can get stuck on some PK adapters. My Tou/Five Star did just that. The adapter's recessed mounting screws may or may not align with the balls of the PK/A and get hung on the edge of the recess.

The 135-f2.5 Takumar Bayonet is a cheapened offering from Pentax. Not a SMC Pentax-M. It's single-coated, and actually a f/2.8. Some reviews are negative, complaining about flare. But it actually is a sharp shooter. They were made in Japan, then moved manufacture to Taiwan. The Japanese-made one is more desired.

Focal 80-200 f4.5 was likely made by Makinon for KMart. Focal was the in-house brand from the 70s.

As for the mounting issue of the Tokina....check the lens' mount, note the slot cut into one of the bayonet flanges. Check for a burr or dent. The locking tab isn't falling into the slot. Try cleaning it with a small file or slotted screwdriver.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Thanks ! The lettering on the side of that 28/2.8 says "PK" and so does the cap. Hopefully no sticky adapter, but if it's so good, I may just keep it in that adapter permanently.

The Focal ... well I kind of expected it would end up being "Fecal".. but I am ready to be surprised.

Pentax does look like a pancake.

So, sounds like I got two solid lenses (MD 50/1.7 and Pentax 28/2.8), a couple of OK lenses that I may or may not keep (Pentax 50/2 and Takumar 135/2.5), a mystery zoom I probably don't have much use for (Tokina 80-200/4) and a door stop. Not a bad catch overall.

The Tokina unfortunately doesn't lock in my Fotga adapter at all. It also spins right out of the teleconverter it came with. OTOH it fits great in my Kiron TC and in the old film body; not sure if I want to get another adapter just to see if it works. I already have more teles I care to use. So this one will most likely go straight back on CL.

4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I have a Fotga Minolta adapter and haven't had any problems with it. Including Tokina lenses on it.
    It must be an issue with that lens.

I think you'll enjoy the primes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Not bad for $30.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    So, I took the Pentax out for a walk. I find that 50/2 is not as sharp as my Minoltas, and it has a very different rendering - it's cooler and a bit subdued but with very pleasing colors. Where Minolta is warm and sunny, I can only describe Pentax as "laid back". Wide open, it seems soft. This photo was taken at - I think - f3.2. While it's definitely softer than what I'd expect from MD50/1.7, it's still sharp enough, and I am very pleased with skin tones - in a way they are perfect.

29531211852_249c03878d_h. DSC09003 1 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

But then, I should have used one of the Minolta 50s under the same conditions, and compared. (of course, good luck with making my daughter stand still for more than 20 seconds..)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
  7. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Well, this find revived my interest in MF lenses that was low lately. Having a new adapter made me look around for other Pentax lenses, and today I scored a SMC Pentax-M 50/1.7. The front end element was rattling, so I was able to get it really cheap. It was a matter of simply removing the front ring with lettering, screwing back the front element, and tightening the screws. If it does it again, I will just use some Locktite on it.

It seems that lens is sharper than 50/2. Quite a bit sharper, I haven't tested it vs my Minoltas but it seems to be at least as good. This was taken at f2.

29668925311_b2fb0a359b_k. So much love... by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    Nothing wrong with that picture.

9. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Nice portrait!
    My copy of the SMC Pentax-M 50 f/1.7 was no sharper than my f/2. Wasn't impressive wide open at all. And it was in very good condition. I sometimes suspect if it's assembly variances.
    I may venture to take mine apart and carefully re-assemble it to see if I can improve the imaging.

10. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I need to play with it some more, but so far it seems the 50/1.7 is sharper than 50/2. I now have 4 new 50s (Pentax 50/2 and 50/1.7, Minolta MD 50/1.7 and MC 50/1.7) and should put them to test. I also used to have three other MD 50/1.7 but they were all 49mm filter dia (later) versions, and these two I have now are 55mm filter dia.

I do have far more fun using them than I did my SEL50.

Also, I just negotiated a deal to buy Auto-Takumar 55/1.8. I would need to get a M42 adapter, so I am not sure if I should go ahead with it... it's a bit wider than I'd like. But then, I heard very good things about that lens... any opinions ?

11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

These both look really good.

Old MF lenses can be a lot of fun.

12. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    There were two versions of the Auto-Takumar. The 1st version is rare and sought after. 10-bladed aperture, silver/black finish. 2nd version is 6 bladed and a model released just prior to the similar Super Takumar, the iconic nifty-fifty by which others are judged. I have four Super and S-M-C Takumars, and the single-coated Super happens to be one of my favorites. One copy is sharper than the other three. Construction is considered the best of the vintage manual focus lens lines. 55mm isn't really discernible from 50mm.
    Super (-M-C) Takumars of f/1.4 and f/1.8 do have radioactive Thorium lens elements which will yellow the glass over time if unused. I don't recall if Thorium was used in the earlier Auto-Takumar.

• Like Like x 1