Circular vs linear polarizer on mirrorless?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by soeren, May 9, 2016.

1. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Inspired by the polarizer comments in another thread. Am I right to assume the issues with linear polarizers on modern slr's (metering and autofocus) does not apply to our Sony's? I played around a bit with my old one in 52mm but couldn't test AF since i used my nikors and I didn't make a 90 degree test to see if the metering would go wrong but the 30-45 degree i did turn it during my fooling around didn't seem to make any difference.

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    As said when we were going off-topic in another thread, I think you're right. Circular polarizers are needed when there are other optical elements in the light path that polarize in some way or another, like semi-transparant mirros can do; this is relevant for both viewing and capturing. In mirrorless cameras there's nothing between the lens' rear element and the sensor and so linear polarizers work perfectly. I have used old Nikon linear polarizers on my Panasonic G1 with perfect results.

i-XzLstWQ.

Linear polarizers are old hat, you can't even buy them new I guess, and they tend to be cheap so if you come across a good deal for a clean filter, go for it!

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Well Lee still offer linear polarizers though they also are at a premium price.

• Informative Informative x 1