1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Choosing An Auto Mode

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by chalkdust, Jul 13, 2016.

1. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    P, A, S, or M - the fundamental choice. For years, I have been a A kind of guy, perhaps because I come from a Leica background where the camera has no way to set the aperture. So with the Leica M8.2, I would choose an ISO, usually 200 for outdoors and 800 for indoors, and I would choose an aperture for best compromise in DOF and camera-selected shutter speed. So I did the same with my A7ii for many months. Always raw + jpg.

But a post by Lucille a few weeks ago turned me upside down. She mentioned that she likes Sony jpg ( all of her images on this site up to that time were camera-generated jpg ) and she always shoots full manual.

So before my trip to Alaska I decided to change things up for me a little. I switched to extrafine jpg instead of raw + jpg, and I switched to M. But I decided to let the camera choose ISO, within my predefined limits. From a few months of experience, I knew that I am happy with images from ISO 100 to 3200. So I let Sony, the sensor experts, choose my ISO with Auto ISO. Then, for each shot, I choose shutter speed to keep motion blur under control and aperture for DOF and lens drawing considerations. I keep my eye on the ISO indicator to make sure it is not blinking. Then just focus, frame and release shutter.

I have been pleased with the results. There are more keepers.

What mode do you use? Why? What results do you get?

• Like Like x 1
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I usually switch between "S" and "A" depending on what I am shooting

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I use A mode with auto ISO when hand-holding the camera (memory setting M1) and A-mode at ISO 100 (M2) for tripod shooting; when I have the slightest fear that highlights may clip I set exposure correction to -1 stop. When in full sun I switch to the f/16 rule, setting the camera in M-mode to f/8 - 1/400 s - ISO 100. I always shoot raw, so I can correct brightness in Lightroom because my technique easily leads to somewhat underexposed shots. I don't think I've ever used P or S mode with the A7R2 so far.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  4. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    This is kind of interesting, at least to me. I've never shot my Nex-7 or A7ii in anything but M. I'm not sure what the ISO setting is ie if set by the camera or what ever, but the A7ii has shown ISO 80 for most of my shots. I'm a legacy glass shooter as I don't have any native lenses. All the shots in my Car lovers paradise thread were shot hand held without flash and most posted are SOOC jpegs except for cropping.

5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    My current obsession is shooting with legacy manual focus lenses. (Even my last two native lens purchases are manual focus)
    So, the dial has been parked at M. On occasion I've tried A, but the shutter speed could drop too low and result in blurriness.
    ISO is usually 100, when I use AUTO ISO, max at 800. I vary shutter speed to get the exposure I desire for a given aperture. When the shutter is too slow for the shot, I then bump up the ISO.
    I like to under expose my outdoor bright daylight shots, just like Lucille. Less blown out, colors are deeper and contrast better. I adjust levels in post to my liking.
    I shoot RAW+JPEG, most of the shots I post are also JPEGs from the camera.

• Like Like x 1
  6. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    Note to self: AlwaysOnAuto is an alias. Real name is AlwaysOnM.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    ^^^^ROFLMAO!

8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Same as AlwaysOnAuto, I never used my camera in anything else than M mode. I like full Manual to have control over everything. Some times I do use Auto ISO (with M mode), after I've set my min ISO to 100 and max ISO to 6400.

9. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    95% Manual. Love Tri-Nav of my Nex-7.

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

When using manual lenses I always switch to "S" mode. Adjust the shutter on the camera, aperture on the lens.

11. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    That would yield the same operation as M (w/ or w/o AUTO ISO). Since S provides Auto Aperture on a native AF lens.

12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Essentially yes.

Sent from my SM-N920P using TalkEmount app

13. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    Cincinnati, OH
    Bob
    I missed where Lucille said she uses in-camera jpegs.. interesting. Her work is some of the nicest I've seen. I also use OOC pics exclusively.

When I'm on the move traveling it's 95% landscapes. I generally shoot the scene in Program and in Auto. In Program, I have HDR turned on to a mild setting (2 or 3) - in tricky lighting I like how it pulls out the detail in dark areas (lazy man's post.. :)). Auto gives me an idiot proof shot. This gives three flavors of the same scene to choose from later (Auto,P, P/hdr). I prefer P over M because I don't have to check if I've bottomed out on ISO, just spin the wheel to the aperture wanted. If it's a situation where faster shutter speeds are needed I bump up the min ISO (otherwise its on 100). This all assumes native lenses...

IMO, the Auto shot is usually over-saturated, if it's a bland subject this can be ok. In P I've found I like the "Std" setting with saturation on +1, the results look the closest to "real" to me.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Lucille

Lucille TalkEmount Veteran

May 22, 2013
    I rarely shoot raw, sometimes for weddings and other paid gigs. I have tested this repeatedly, shot raw on my A7R II and then the same scene with xtra fine jpeg. I edit both and wind up liking the JPEG better in the end. And let me tell you, one can bend a jpeg in post processing more then many here would have you believe. If I am losing some detail in JPEG vs. Raw it is VERY HARD to discern.

Now I am not saying JPEG is better then RAW, but I am saying JPEG is very close, very close. Now I always expose for the scene the way I see it, so I don't do much post processing to begin with. Maybe 3-5 minutes per shot..... Here is a jpeg shot last night with my RX1R II. This was shot in pure darkness with ZERO flash as the RX1R II doesn't have one.

m-507.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  15. Lucille

Lucille TalkEmount Veteran

May 22, 2013
    a few JPEGS shot with my A7R II.

m-494.

m-495.

m-503.

• Like Like x 6
  16. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Cool shot!
    There's some weird "halo" on the hills in the background though :)