Showcase Choice of two Sony 50mm Lenses

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Harry, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Harry

Harry New to TalkEmount

Mar 21, 2017
    I want to purchase a 50mm lens for my A6000. Sony currently has two offerings:
    SEL50F18F and the 50mm f/1.8 OSS.

One is full frame, the other is not. The full frame is less expensive. I believe the OSS was designed for the A6000 camera type. Is there some type of trade off technically and performance wise if I select the SEL50F18F OVER THE 50mm f/1.8 OSS ?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

2. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    The OSS APS-C lens is designed to be used with the A6xxx cameras and has image stabilization, the full frame lens doesn't have image stabilization.
    I've not used either of these lenses so I can't comment on the performance or IQ of them.
    If you don't need OSS (stabilization) the full frame lens can be used if you ever go for full frame.
    Here in the UK the full frame version is dearer than the APS-C version.

3. Harry

Harry New to TalkEmount

Mar 21, 2017
    Thank you for your input.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

All reports are that the FF 50mm has a grat image, but as paul says has no stabilization and is slow to AF.

I have the APS-C 50mm and have never been disappointed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Harry

Harry New to TalkEmount

Mar 21, 2017
    That's what I need to know. Thanks I'm leaning that way but wanted to hear from users regarding their experience with the two lenses.

6. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I have the Sony E 50mm f/1.8 OSS (SEL50F18), the non-FE, APS-C version with Optical SteadyShot. And it is a great lens, with sharp pictures and very good bokeh. It is also one of the better values in Sony's E-mount lens lineup. Regularly US$298, it can often be found new for US$250.

I believe I have seen some comparison somewhere (sorry that I cannot recall where nor find a link) that found the APS-C 50/1.8 OSS to be slightly sharper across the APS-C frame than the newer FE 50/1.8. But I'd bet that with sample variation they are close enough for that to be a wash. Most reports do indicate that the older 50/1.8 OSS has a more responsive AF motor and thus focuses a bit better than the newer FE 50/1.8. The other obvious difference, other than coverage - APS-C vs. Full-Frame - is the inclusion of OSS on the older APS-C version. If you have an A6000, or any other APS-C body other than the A6500, the inclusion of OSS on the lens could come in very handy.

As such, although I admit to not having used the new FE 50/1.8, I would suggest that if you have an A6000 and don't have any immediate plans to jump to full-frame Sony body, then look for a good deal on the APS-C 50/1.8 OSS.

If, however, you have any intent to go full-frame within a year, then perhaps the FE 50/1.8 (without OSS) would work for you, especially if funds are tight right now. It is actually US$50 cheaper than the APS-C OSS version. Not a big difference in price to be sure, and as such it probably wouldn't be hard to pick up the FE 50/1.8 cheaply AFTER you actually have a full;-frame body. If/when I get a full-frame A7 series body, I may just get the FE 50/1.8 myself.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Another point is if you plan to shoot videos. The OSS and near silent AF will be great pluses over the FE 50mm f/1.8. The FE is essentially an older external focus design. Its motor drive is slower and noisier. Optically they are both neck and neck. The photos from either will be excellent. In some markets the FE can be a bargain. The $100 you save is the compensation for not having the more advanced lens features.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Harry

Harry New to TalkEmount

Mar 21, 2017
    Thank you for the feedback.

9. Harry

Harry New to TalkEmount

Mar 21, 2017
    They are about $248.00 USD here in Texas. Thanks for the input.

10. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
  11. Harry

Harry New to TalkEmount

Mar 21, 2017
    Wow, that is some interesting test results. Thank you very much for providing that link.