1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

China

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by olli, Feb 22, 2013.

1. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    A work by Ai Weiwei at the Smithsonian Hirshhorn Gallery in DC. Taken with RX100.

DSC01110 by ...olli..., on Flickr​

2. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Nice.

If you ask the average person in China who Ai Weiwei is, they have no idea, even art students.

He's too outspoken for the Chinese government. No press at all.

3. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    We first came across him in Munich when we lived there. There was a major exhibition of his work at the Haus der Kunst. He ended up in hospital in Munich because a Chinese security or police officer gave him a whack on the head just before the exhibition and it led to internal bleeding. Needless to say that generated even more publicity. This work is from a major exhibition that has been running at the Hirshhorn for the last few months which ends on Sunday.

The big story in the last year was the Chinese government's prosecution of Ai Weiwei over alleged unpaid taxes and his detention as part of that process. I'm no politician, but it seems to me the Chinese government would be better served by embracing rather than harassing him. But what do I know?

4. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Better served how? He's unpredictable and uncontrollable for the government. They are far more worried about him inside the borders than internationally. Their current methods mean he has a very small voice, basically unknown to the masses and therefore very little influence. The Tiananmen Square incident in 1989 (also unknown by anybody under 30 in China) still scares the government. Anyone with potential power to rally masses must be controlled. He's very charismatic and a great speaker (I've heard him) so quite dangerous.

While all this sounds terrible, there has been real progress here. After all, he hasn't been 'disappeared' as most were in the past, and there's even been no disinformation campaign to destroy him, as more 'progressive' governments are want to do. He's been muted.

5. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Better served internationally is what I meant, though I take your point about the greater concern being his potential influence internally.

I also take your point that things have improved greatly in China, that's partly why I would love to have a chance to live there having visited a couple of times. And I'm not interested in being part of any anti-China bandwagon. There are many worse regimes out there that our Western governments are in bed with.

Oops. Straying into politics there. Better back off now:)

6. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I hope you make it to China. It's a great place (warts and all). I'd love to see your photos. I see a lot of photos from foreign tourists but seeing China through the lens of someone fresh living here for a little while is different. I was living here for almost 10 years before I started shooting and I don't see the place the same way as a new person anymore.