1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Chilly evening on the river

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by TonyTurley, Nov 7, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    There is a bridge that crosses our major river between two small towns. The view from it is fantastic, and I've been wanting to capture a sunset from it for a while, so tonight I did. It is a busy bridge on routine days, but with road construction and lane closures, it was insanely busy this evening. I couldn't get too close to the edge of the walkway due to traffic that was whizzing by, but I also have a fear of falling that, while not to the level of a phobia, made my 30 minutes at roughly 125 feet above the river rather unsettling. Still, I ended up with some rather nice pics. All taken with the 5R and Minolta MD 24-35mm. Pic #4 shows the current state of our foliage, with a number of small maples along the river still having colorful leaves, as well as the big Elm along the river lower right. Most of the larger maples are done, and what is left in the woods are the brown & russets of oaks, with an evergreen sprinkled here and there.

Tony

DSC09379v01_zps9509f464.

DSC09397v01_zpse9dff5ad.

DSC09399v01_zpsa6793ccd.

DSC09401v01_zps0ad286e9.

DSC09405v01_zps71ddd9bf.

DSC09415v01_zps05985953.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Didn't your Momma tell you not to play in traffic? :p

Nice shots. I'd like to shoot off the bridges here, but they have cams up and if you stop the gendarmes come a runnin'. Had a gentleman take a short-tether jump a couple of weeks ago, so maybe they're justified.

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Those are some good ones, Tony. There's something about rivers and sunsets that gets me every time.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Some neat shots you've collected.

5. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Nice series Tony. Glad you fought off your fear of falling. I don't particularly like falling either.lol Is that coal in the last pic?

6. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks guys. No cameras on our bridges, Jim. That is indeed coal, Claude.

Tony