1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Chicago's Navy Pier

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by dbmiller, Jun 11, 2012.

1. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Skyline taken from the Navy Pier Ferris Wheel. Sigma 19mm. I liked how the sun reflected off the buildings:

[​IMG]

The only time I pulled the 55-210 out - Saw the sun hitting the lighthouse and walked to the end of the pier as fast as I could to try and catch the light. I was a little late, but the boat coming back into the harbor added a nice touch:

[​IMG]

Back to the 19mm Siggy...

[​IMG]

Daughter wanted to leave at this point, but every minute we stayed, the skyline grew more and more dramatic. Stuck around long enough for this one...

[​IMG]

2. Bolampau

Bolampau TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 22, 2012
    Lincolnshire, England
    Paul
    Hi DB,
    excellent photos. Would suggest a small crop on the foreground of the first shot.

The boat scene has gorgeous lighting.

Well done!
    Cheers,
    Paul

3. Luiz Curcino

Luiz Curcino TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    Uberlandia-MG Brasil
    This Sigma lens 19mm is excellent! Wonderful pictures!

4. JimR

JimR TalkEmount Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Jim
    Like the perspective. Another lens to be interested in.

5. dbmiller

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    @Paul: Damn! I didn't catch the obstruction in the photo from the ferris wheel. Was looking at all the other sunbursts which were fine, but they real flared out. When I came back to this one, I got so excited over the reflected sunburst, I didn't even notice.

@Jim: Yep, the 19mm Sigma is quite the performer. It was on the camera 95+ percent of the time for this trip and performed quite admirably. I never took out the 18-55 kit lens.

6. dendoor

dendoor TalkEmount Regular

May 27, 2012
    Very nice pictures, specialy the first one ! Great lens.

7. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Me liking the 19mm Siggy too! :)

I'm really liking your knack for composition too from the recent photos you've been posting... landscapes and cityscapes. You have a good sense of anticipation and timing. Man, that Lighthouse shot is beautiful, DB. Blink and that moment is gone - so great capture!

8. Ray Vardy

Ray Vardy TalkEmount Regular

I (bravely/foolishly) disagree with the cropping, but woul like to see it to see how much it changes the interpretation of the pic...

9. Ray Vardy

I was going to ask the same! Liking the look of that lens.

I like the shadows on the buildings of pic 1 and the masts against the sky in pic 2 and and and everything about pic 4

Ps. And and and I wanna be just like you if I grow up!

10. dbmiller

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Can't put the sunburst right on a nodal third without losing too much

I find the little bit of the Ferris wheel both distracting, and a reminder of where I was when the picture was taken. So here's a re-crop to think about:

[​IMG]

The sunburst is now right on the left-hand third line, and the upper level street is at the bottom third. Some of the buildings break into the top third, yet others don't reach the top third. Looks like a good balance.

11. Bolampau

Bolampau TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 22, 2012
    Lincolnshire, England
    Paul
    Hi DB,
    whilst I appreciate the ferris wheel is a great reminder of where you were, I think the new cropped shot is far better.

Ray - what do you reckon?

Cheers,
    Paul

12. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    +1 :)

13. Ray Vardy

I get the bottom edge crop :) I think the left crop detracts from the flow of the sky and sunlight though. I need to play with cropping too! Dang so much to learn and so little time! Thanks very much for showing me this. Ps. I never even thought about where all the lines lay, grrr

14. dbmiller

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Do a google search on the "Rule of thirds". Also, turn on the rule of thirds grid in the NEX display to aid your composition.

15. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    https://vimeo.com/14315821

I hope this helps, by the way very nice photos friend ....

16. Ray Vardy

17. Ray Vardy

Sweet! Switched on now ;)