1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cheddar Gorge By Night

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by José De Bardi, Jan 25, 2015.

1. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Hey All,

So I put the word out on Facebook last night that I fancied doing some nighttime shots and if anyone wanted to join me. A photographer enthusiast friend said he was already planning the same and was heading to Cheddar Gorge, which is about 1hr 30mins away.

It's a rather fantastic 1/2 mile run up a steep/deep gorge, with lay-by car parks all the way up. Due to the unique sound reflected from the cliff walls, combined with the challenging 'course', it has become somewhat of a Mecca for car enthusiasts, with a number of people turning up most evenings! We went up to the top, took a few shots, and then came down to a tighter section and got the below 2.

16364193312_cb0225bd61_k.
    Night Hunter
    by josedebardi, on Flickr

16177708950_82b65bd843_k.
    Star Trails Behind Tree

Before I left (as my friend was in his camper and staying the night), I took him for a blast up the hill, first time I've been in my S1 (last time was in my now gone Nissan 300ZX with 3 inch straight through exhausts - that was loud!). WOW was it fun, I don't normally condone road racing, I do my fast driving on the track, but this road was too enticing, plus it was after midnight with the background hum of jap-can's no longer present as the locals had all gone home. I only wish I took my GoPro so you could see the on board, my buddy got out the car apologising for the fingernail marks he had left in the door handle :roll eyes: I was genuinely only driving at 60-70%, would love to have seen his reaction if I'd really gone for it!
    He took a few shots, I'll share them here once he gets done processing them.

• Like Like x 13
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    If you don't mind, how long does a star-trails image like that take...I assume hours?

3. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    That one is only 30 mins, stacking 60 images of continuous 30 second exposures.

I've done a 2 hour one before which is probably the max I would recommend as it will just become a massive blur otherwise.

This is the 2 hour one;
    16022247395_51d8f08264_b.

Geminids 2014

• Like Like x 2
  4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thanks...different type of photo for sure.
    Also wondering if the star trail component was then 'married' to the foreground...seems like in 2 hours there would have been some sort of movement of the tree branches resulting in some blur / softness ?

5. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    It was a super still night with no moon, so conditions were perfect. Also, the stacking software takes only the brightest pixel from each shot, so it does compensate to some degree for any movement.

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I salute your technical abilities in such areas...I'm just learning about "sharpening", LOL

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vincepad

Vincepad TalkEmount Regular

Dec 29, 2013
    Great stuff, José!

• Like Like x 1