1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Cheap IR remote?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Imasphere, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Imasphere

Imasphere TalkEmount Regular

Jan 22, 2014
    Has anyone bought one of these cheap generic infrared remotes from e-bay?

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=Nex6+remote&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

I am simply looking for a remote that will allow me to use the bulb mode and hold the shutter open for a long period of time for astronomy photos but none of the models I've seen don't say if they will work in bulb mode.
    I am still wondering why Sony did not include the bulb option in its smartphone remote.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I had two of those super cheap ones with only two buttons, and they broke quickly. Now I use the newer Sony one, and it works great. Could have been just bad luck, though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I use one. One click to start Bulb mode, one click to stop. No issues in two and a half years.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Imasphere

Jan 22, 2014
    Thanks guys. Bimbo, is it the same model as the one I posted?

5. Vincepad

Vincepad TalkEmount Regular

Dec 29, 2013
    I spent 6.99 on a remote by Opteka from Amazon. It's in my bag getting beaten up constantly and it functions perfectly. I keep meaning to pick up a couple more, since at that price, they're essentially disposable as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: Mine is the two button version - a shutter release and a two second delay shutter release. Works perfectly.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yes. Mine says Photive on it instead of the alpha symbol. There's at least a half dozen outfits selling these under different brand names. All made in the same factory, just different silk screening on the cover.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Imasphere

Jan 22, 2014
    Thanks, I'll order it today.

8. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    I have it and it work great when ever I use it lol !!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I'm just curious. Can someone explain why people use wouldn't just use the smartphone remote?

Using the app I can see what the camera is seeing, change aperture, adjust exposure compensation, ISO and focus point. I can even zoom with the 18-105G. I don't do a lot of remote work, so I don't have a point of reference. All I know is it was great to be able to shoot landscape at a variety of settings without fiddling with the camera and tripod each time.

10. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    In my case, I have a 5n. But not everyone has a smartphone, either.

11. rtex42

rtex42 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 14, 2013
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Rick
    WestO,
    Not all NEX cameras have the WiFi feature. The NEX-7 that I use, for instance, does not.
    Having said that, I don't like the IR remotes because, at least on my NEX-7, you can only do single shot (or bulb).
    I shoot a lot of bracketed shots for HDR and like to use the continuous shooting mode in some situations, which is also unavailable when using IR remote.

12. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks. I didn't even realize the NEX-7 didn't have WiFi.

13. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    The only problems with those cheap remotes is that they are easy to lose and their range is limited. I am in process of building a ir remote (software works already but I will build amplifier for ir LEDs) to solve some problems with commercial remotes (intervalometer, continuous shooting, reacting to external stimuli etc.).

14. Imasphere

Jan 22, 2014
    That's a cool project. Let us know how the remote project is coming along. Perhaps you could find some potential customers on this forum for such a remote.

15. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Lots of people make these ir remotes themselves. As a minimum you need a microcontroller, ir LED, battery, switch and suitable library for your camera. I used a Arduino Mini Pro (USD 3.00) and a single ir-diode directly driven by microcontroller (it can source 40 mA) for prototype. I will build a transistor amplifier and put 2-3 ir LEDs in series and drive them 100 mA so I guess I will have something like order of magnitude more power than these cheap ones. Still missing the switch (on-off-on rocker with spring return in other side) but I will make the device such a way that switches are connected via 3.5mm jacks. One input for continuous shooting (adjusted by potentiometer so I can take 11 fps to 1 fph), one for single shot (delay adjusted by potentiometer). Output either ir LEDs to drive camera or optoisolator for flash.