Cheap adapters have reflections issues compared to a Novoflex?!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by shaolin95, Sep 5, 2015.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013

So I have been using Rainbow Imaging and similar adapters for a while but just saw this comparison and now I am wondering if anyone has experience the same issue with reflections.
    At least on this review, the comparison shows a clear difference in avoiding reflections:

What do you think?
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    I once had a serious flare problem with a cheap MFT->Nikon F adapter on my Panasonic G1 and replaced it with a used Novoflex, problem gone. But that was the only time I had that problem, since then I had numerous cheap adapters for my Panasonic G1 and GH2 and Sony NEX-6 and A7 and never noticed excessive flare. I never tested specifically for it though. That said I'm slowly building up a stash of Novoflex adapters by getting used ones because I like the consistent quality of them. I have to say that the Novoflex Minolta MD adapters can have significant light leaks, you'll have to throw a piece of black cloth over the adapter if you do use high-attenuation gray filters or bellows lenses with very small apertures for close-ups.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I mostly use cheap Fotasy adapters and haven't noticed a problem. They don't feel very high quality, but I haven't been able to bring myself to pay hundreds of dollars for an adapter with no glass or electronics.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I'm going to try the gaffer tape mod with one my cheap ones and compare to my other.