1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cheap (60-80 $) 25 mm 1,8 manual focus for sony E mount

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Jungle, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Jungle

Jungle New to TalkEmount

Sep 27, 2016
    Hi all. I am always looking for a proper lens for a my Sony 5100 (almost same camera as 6000 but even smaller) . I bought this camera as a small camera to bring everywhere when you don't want to carry a bigger SLR camera. It is the camera that i enjoy the most. But , as you all have already realized, there are no proper lenses to make together with this body a small, and not very expensive equipment. I hate the original 16_50 lens kit for many reason. I would love that Sony understand that they need to do something like the canon 22 f2 for the eos m cameras. Small ,cheap, decent quality prime lens. I have been even about to sell my Sony and buy a canon M or m3 just because of that lens. Sony has nothing like that. Other brands...the only lens close to what i would like to have is the Sigma 30mm 2,8 . I get use to that and enjoy it quite a lot. But for reasons that would be to long to explain , i am again looking for other possibilities. ( I have even tried old school nikon manual lenses , but with the adapter, the camera is no more small. Someone spoke about a new cheap chinese manual lens for E mount. It is only manual focus , but i am thinking to give it a try and buy it. Just type in ebay : 25 mm 1,8 sony E manual lens and you will find it for 60 -80 $. anyone has any experience with that lens? thanks

2. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Never had it myself, but have you looked at Sony's 20mm?

If you are open to legacy glass and want to keep it small, there are actually quite a few choices in M mount. Leica, Voigtlander, Zeiss, Rollei, Konica, Minolta... with a wide variety of focal lengths. And now, you can even add autofocus using the TechArt Pro adapter - not cheap, but if manual focus is not your thing a nice option to have.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
  4. bargainguy

bargainguy TalkEmount Regular

Jun 29, 2016
    If you think the A5100 / 16-50 kit lens combo is too big, and you value small size in a camera/lens package, I wonder if a different format is in your future. I get the impression that you want something really small, interchangeable lens, not a point-and-shoot with integrated lens.

Have you tried the various micro 4/3 cameras out these days? As I type this, I'm looking at my Olympus Pen Mini (E-PM1) with a 14/2.5 Panasonic lens and VF-2 accessory EVF. Now that is a tiny camera package, and one that I often take along on bicycle rides in a small seatpost bag. Of course, there's no free lunch - 12MP instead of the 24MP from your A5100, and sometimes shadow noise is an issue in the early Pens (better in my later 16MP E-P5, for ex.). But if you value small size as a top priority, something to think about.

The other option might be the Sony RX100 series with the 1" sensor and 20MP resolution. I have two of them, mk I and mk II, and these cameras are smaller than just about anything I own, including the Olympus Pens. But with these, no integrated EVF, non-interchangeable lenses, and somewhat slow at the long end of the zoom range. The mk III and IV have an integrated EVF but more $ and slightly bigger size. No free lunch here either, but I've made some splendid images with both cameras.

5. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I've owned a couple copies of the SEL20f28 and wasn't exactly blown away. They all suffered from decentering, heavy vignetting (up to 2.5 stops) and soso sharpness and IMO are way overpriced for the less than mediocre performance. Regarding the chinese 25mm/f1.8 for $50-60 I have no first hand experience but remember having read some less than favorable reviews somewhere.
    BTW, if I didn't have an ongoing intimate relationship with my trusty X10 I would have gotten an RX100 II or III long ago. I've had each version of the RX100 here for some time and couldn't believe the IQ that came out of these little thingies. Just sayin' ;)

6. Jungle

Jungle New to TalkEmount

Sep 27, 2016
    No, the size of the 5100 with the 16-50 is perfect , is the only good thing of that lens ;-) I hate it for many reason, optical quality but specially something you would understand if you always want to use the same focal distance like 30mm or 25 because you like it and even worse if you focus manual...it is very annnoying the whole process ..try to get the focal to , por example 30 mm, doing from 28 to 32 ,then 29,34, finally after a while 30mm.. then you focus manual , wait the right moment and then ...the lens close and you have to start all over again..it is really annoying... that's why i was happy with the sigma 30 mm 2,8 even if it is not the perfect focal y would like ( 24 , 35 equivalent) . But specially if you take this lens while riding bicycle or any other sport...you can have a problem: inner lenses broken... the lens rattle when the camera is off but i never thought that could even happen what finally happen : damage in 2 optical elements because they hits to each other....about other brands, once i decided to put my limit in sensor size in APSc, i don't want anything smaller....

7. Jungle

Jungle New to TalkEmount

Sep 27, 2016
    20 mm is not enough .. 30 mm equivalent... it is too short.... it is very simple, what lens used to have all the streets photographers? 35 or 50 always i their leicas or similar cameras... why canon has a 22 f2.0? it is simple. Legacy glass could be an option specially the 24 and 28 mm ones but if they need a long adapter , like my nikon, the combo with the camera is too big, besides, you have no autofocus... I would like to keep both options ...If i decide to go for a only manual one, that could be an option , direct E mount:
    25mm F/1.8 HD MC Manual Focus Lens for SONY E mount NEX3 6 7 A6000 A6300 A7 II

8. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
  9. Jungle

Jungle New to TalkEmount

Sep 27, 2016
    it would be great if you could remember where you found opinion about the cheap chinese manual lens. I don't need extrem sharpness cause i love Photography, not camera or lenses , i hope you understand what i mean. I just need decent performance.

10. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Somewhere on the web via google but that's a good while ago.

I guess I get your point and with that in mind I'd rather use a good compact camera than less than decent glass in front of a larger sensor.

11. Jungle

Jungle New to TalkEmount

Sep 27, 2016
    Compact camera has usually smaller sensors but also zoom lens what i hate..

12. Jungle

Jungle New to TalkEmount

Sep 27, 2016
    needs adapter...big combo..

13. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
  14. Jungle

Jungle New to TalkEmount

Sep 27, 2016
    Yes, thanks a lot . I think i might buy it soon while i wait that sony ,sigma or any other brand offers something similar with autofocus ;-)

15. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    Just a quick observation about the Canon 22mm. I had this lens on the original EOS M with the updated firmware. I got it for very cheap and though it would be a good option for a 35mm equiv. Problem is, unless you are shooting subjects that do not move at all or are not trying to capture a fleeting moment, the AF was too slow. This lens was by far the slowest focusing lens I have ever used including some old Minolta A-mount glass on film cameras. The problem is partially the lens design and partially the camera. It will probably be faster on the new M5. I paid about $200 CDN for the EOS M body and 22mm lens but sold it after a few weeks as the focus was not fast enough for me and this is comparing it to a NEX-5N which is not blazing fast by any means. From an IQ standpoint, it was OK but I found that the Sony E35 on my 5N was better. While the 22mm Canon represents a very good value, it is not as good as many make it out to be. It is quite possible mine was a dud but overall, I was not that impressed with it.

The Sony 16-50 PZ is actually pretty sharp around 24mm. If you are using it outside, it's fine at f/5.6. I'm not sure the Zonlai lens will that much better than the kit lens other than the faster aperture. Unfortunately for this range, you are stuck by either dropping mad cash for the 24mm Zeiss or using a less than idea focal length of 20mm or 28-30mm.

16. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Have you looked at 1855 ? It's only slightly longer than 1650 (and about the same when 1650 is turned on) and at least my copy is very good at 24mm.

17. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Another option in the manual focus arena, if size is a priority, is to adapt range finder lenses. Leica Thread Mount (L39) requires a notably thinner adapter, and Olympus Zuiko Pen-F 1/2 frame lenses are also small and sharp, and use a thinner adapter.

C-mount lenses of large f/stops (1.2-1.4) and 35-50mm may work.

• Agree Agree x 1