1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

changing image names an easy way please

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by gio, May 31, 2013.

1. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    having come from minolta, through most of the sony alpha a100,200,700,580,nex5,5n,and now 6, I am continually writing over previous photos as there are various with the same name, I have always had 2 cameras on the go at present it is the 580 and the nex 6 so the dates are not a great option as i sometimes use both cameras on the same day,especially on holiday,I am now considering getting a used nex 7 as a second camera or maybe another 6 .
    any ideas for easily renaming files I use photoshop elements, please somebody give me something simple

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Do you use Mac OS X? If so, the Automator can do almost whatever you want.

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Assuming that you're on MacOS as well: File Rename does file renaming quick and easy. US$3.99 at the Mac App Store.

4. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    no,I'm on windows 8 with photoshop elements 8

5. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    thanks guys, as long as I knew there was a way,I messed around and found one

in elements when you are bring in you photos off the sd card, there is are a few options for changing the filename, I chose custom name and todays date combination,
    I named the custom name nex 6 and the programme adds the incremental numbers ,if i get another nex 6 I shall name it nex6/ 2
    so for example todays files were
    nex6 2013 may 31 _0005jpeg
    nex6 2013 may31_0006jpeg
    and so on.
    the 0005jpeg and 0006jpeg are added automatically by the programme

thanks for your help, I hope this helps someone else