Changing a 5-N to a 5-T???

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Grisu_HDH, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Hi folks.
    Being happy with my 5-N so far I think about updating to a 5-T...
    How?
    My brother-in-law is searching for a used APS-C camera for 300EURs max and asked for my advice.
    I recommended a NEX and searched the net for something matching.
    Than I thought about buying a 5-T with the 16-50PZ (499EUR) and sell my 5-N body + the 16-50PZ to him (for 300EUR) and keeping the 5-T body with my old 18-55.
    Than just order a battery bundle for his 5-N than and we're done...

Is this worth to do??
    I don't really care about the WIFI stuff, but the new AF and the extra buttons really sound good to me.
    I thought about updating to an 6 instead but would cost more and I like to keep my external flash...

Thanks for your opinins.

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I personally wouldn't upgrade from a 5N to a 5T - the 5T doesn't offer much more IMHO...

For me the EVF alone is a huge upgrade

What I would do (and actually did :D ) is upgrade from the 5N to a 6 or 7. The 6 is definately a cheaper option. What I did is sell my 5 with 16mm and 18-55mm for 200euros and bought a Nex-6 by which cost me (body-only though) 340euros (540-200=340)

Hope this helps

4. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Yup. If you're going to upgrade go for the 6 or 7. In my opinion the 5R & 5T won't give me much improvement for the money. Also the 5N still gives you good enough image quality even by today's standard.

5. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    All the 16MP NEX sensors are pretty much the same (5N, C3, F3, 3N, 5R, 5T, 6). Newer ones probably have slightly better processor.

I like using the touch screen of 5N for setting AF point, and for MF magnification. I heard that 5R/5T touch screen is less sensitive, probably use resistive touch screen instead of captive.

6 has better control and buttons, with a built-in EVF. But 6 does not have a touch screen. Different people have different preferences. I still feel 5N is best bang for the buck.

6. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Ordered the 5-T that night cause Amazon had a -50,00EUR deal...
    And my brother-in-law was quite happy with the idea getting a camera where he knows it comes from.

Personally I like the touchscreen too, so onemore point for the 5.
    I'm curious how the new AF will be like...

I also ordered a Bundlestar package with a Patona charger and two Baxxtar battery packs plus a Larmor GGS screen shield...

7. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    I'm quite happy with my decision so far!
    Why?
    1. Fn button makes control much easier, mode settings is where is belongs and ISO has an extra button.
    2. Phase AF works quite well and faster than contrast alone in the 5-N
    3. Faster Bionz processor is feelable I think, camera reacts faster
    4. Movie button is out of the way (finally!)

Unfortunately the touchscreen seems to be incompatible with Larmor screen protector...

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Well glad your happy.

The extra control wheel is handy.

9. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Still think kt was the right decision.
    Just the wheel and the Fn would be worth it!
    But the AppStore and the Smart Remote via my Android tablet add more points tomy list.
    And I think after seeing the build quality it was right to keep the good old 1855 and update it for phase AF...