1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cataract Gorge - Launceston Tasmania

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by jeffmurray, Jun 26, 2015.

1. jeffmurray

jeffmurray TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    Had to head away for work this week to the north of the State. I was up early on Friday to catch a few images of the jewel in the Launceston Crown. Cataract Gorge. Its a special place of great natural beauty and tranquillity. I only had sufficient time for a few images - and I am very keen on the next trip to capture the Maple Steps at dawn.

I am interested to know preferences between 2 & 3?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20150626080625_DSC00015And2more-2-Edit-L.

20150626081126_DSC00021And2more-L.

• Like Like x 8
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I never make unsolicited comments about others photos because A) I don't feel qualified, and B) I'm viewing something on my monitor vs. yours, etc.
    But since you asked, I'll at least offer an observation based upon what I "see". My personal view is #3 is better than #2.
    Seems like in #2 the greens on the left are too hot, and the central area of the water has lost definition / become too white...but that's just what I see.
    In fact, to me, #3 is the best of the series.

3. jeffmurray

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    Cheer's roundball - pretty much agree with your comments there. Exposure too long in #2. Fiddled with the white balance and it didn't fix the trees. I do prefer the composition of 2 though.

So I dropped the HDR and hand blended two of the three images and I think it gets a better result. I really have to get around to doing those Alpha Channel Blending Tutorials. I used the 8 second exposure for the trees and the 2 second one for the water and sky.

I think the problem was Photomatix really raising the white balance in the darks during the blending process.

20150626080202_DSC00009-Edit.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I also like #3 more, the water effect is better and works with the focal length too.
    The 2nd image is too HDR at points of the image, and the water is too blown out and looks like artificial foam. It detracts the viewer instead of looking downstream like the flow in #3.

BTW, that's a nice shot of the bridge in #1.

5. jeffmurray

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    Cheers thank you.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using TalkEmount mobile app

6. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Completely understand a given photo has different appeal to each individual.
    For me, the appeal of #3's composition is essentially the "thirds" layout.
    Water in the foreground 1/3
    Landscape in the middle 1/3
    Sky/clouds in the upper 1/3

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice photos and place!

I myself prefer #2 - nicer composition and like the longer exposure effect on the water ;)

8. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I say 3. 2 has the stronger composition IMO, unfortunately I think the long exposure is too long. Water highlights and definition look blown.

9. jeffmurray

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    Thanks again gentlemen always helpful advice here. I enjoy seeing what appeals to people. Your coments and advice are very much appreciated.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using TalkEmount mobile app

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Neat river and bridge.