Cars @ Beaulieu Motor Museum and Top Gear World

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by José De Bardi, Apr 19, 2014.

1. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Following on from my Minimoon thread, here are the pics of the various cars we saw at Beaulieu.

No spectacular photography but if you like cars and/or Top Gear there are a few nice things to look at!

DSC02170_zpsb22a8eb6.

DSC02172_zpsa25775e6.

DSC02173_zps39c6f2f4.

DSC02174_zpsda11e18e.

DSC02175_zpsc5a4c634.

DSC02200_zpsac29e8b8.

DSC02201_zps632d58fe.

DSC02202_zps0cd2e7a6.

DSC02203_zps267b6769.

DSC02204_zpsdfd31603.

DSC02205_zps9326c39b.

DSC02207_zps6ba481f5.

DSC02208_zps8d437252.

DSC02210_zps2e7d2012.

DSC02219_zps1c849763.

DSC02220_zpsaac18517.

DSC02221_zps1efa22e5.

DSC02223_zps493c3678.

This one was taken from the Monorail that runs around the grounds and through the top of the Motor Museum building...
    DSC02329_zps9619fae5.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  2. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    Thanks so much for sharing these ... I'm glad to see the museum has a sense of humor. I had no idea ... most auto museums take themselves so seriously.

Did you notice you also caught the front sliver of a racing Jag in the 2nd photo ?

The white E-Type pictured is IMHO the best variation of the E's ... early model open two seater with the 3.8 engine, Leyland truck trans with no synchros in 1st or reverse (and often worn out in 2nd) and older seats that most people find uncomfortable but I prefer since I have a small frame. I could go on and on, but I'm in the wrong forum so I'll shut up, but not before posting this scan from an old slide of my cat laying low in the weeds getting ready to pounce.

Thanks again for sharing

! Scan-130516-0015.

3. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Awesome! Proper Jaaaaaag fan then! She's a beauty!

The silk cut Jag was in a really awkward spot to photograph, almost shoved under the first floor rafters up on that sloping 'raceway' piece with the F1 cars on.

You need to come over and go to Goodwood festival of speed (not far from Beaulieu). It is WITHOUT doubt the best petrol heads weekend, always MANY pristine old Jags and racing Jags (along with all the other Marques) - best bit is you get to see them all running up the hill. I go every year so let me know if you ever make it! I'm collecting quite a few regulars I catch up with for a drink once a year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I want to see photos of that! :cool:

5. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Ok! Hang on! Let me go through my last few years of Goodwood pics! I usually take about 400 a year!!!! (Not even joking!)

One of them is my all time favourite pic I've ever taken so already online...
    Vitally Petrov blasting by! This year I made it my mission to get a sweeping shot like this - as a result I had 200/400 blurs!
    DSC01101_zps57991e3d.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  6. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Oh, and another Jag in those above, it's been mounted by a Metro :/

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Quite an odd collection.

Race cars, antique cars and the oddities from Top Gear.

Still, love to see car shots of any kind.:)

8. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    The Museum and Top Gear World are distinct attractions that happen to be next to each other within the grounds. The Reliant is part of the 'Cars on Screen' museum.
    As I said, its a great day out, these 3 car attractions, plus amazing gardens, an old abbey, a house (complete with staff in period dress), playground for the kids, Go Karts (for big and small kids!). It's genuinely (aside from it being part of my honeymoon!) been one of the best days out I've had! Can't believe I've never done it considering it's only 45 mins from my house!

There is also a Tank Museum not far away (which I have done a few times) - also good for people that like big engines and machinery!

9. rdfisch

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    I have seen a documentary on the Goodwood festival and I'd LOVE to go some time .. My sister lived in England for 25 years and I've visited a handful of times ... I always wanted to include a trip to the Jaguar factor in Coventry, but it never happened and she's back in the states now. If I can ever swing Goodwood, I'll definitely look you up and buy you a pint. There is an excellent collection only 3 hours from where I live that runs all their cars (http://simeonemuseum.org/)... even has an annual Jaguar weekend ... but I haven't been able to make it yet ... life is just to crazy lately.

My honeymoon coincided with the 1990 running of the 24 Hours of LeMans ... we seriously considered going but finances and my wife's yearning for sun and sand kept us closer to home ... wouldn't you know that Jaguar came in 1st and 2nd that year.

The scanned photo is from 1978. I bought her as a kid for $3,000 ... had 80,000 miles and was blowing smoke so bad you couldn't see anything behind you. I rebuilt the engine and put about 50,000 miles on twisty back roads in 10 fun years. Shortly after I had kids, I drove her into the garage and reluctantly stored her because she was getting ready to break in half. When I'm done putting the kids through college, I hope to have the time and $ to bring her back to life. Never was nor will be a show car, but we've had way more fun than the trailer queens.

10. rdfisch

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    The speeding Lotus is a great shot.

tho obviously not at Goodwood speeds ... they only have a 3 acre lot ... but they do have some significant racing sports cars and you'll get less blurs at the slower speeds:biggrin: