1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Carrying capacity of mount thread and/or tripod mount?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Grisu_HDH, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    I use an KIWIFOTOS adapter with my Nex 5N to adapt the following lenses:
    - Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.4
    - Sigma Macro 50mm 2.8

Now I'm a bit scared that the Sigma Macro with the adapter is too heavy for the lens mount and/or for the tripod mount of the camera...
    No problem when using the Rokkor, that's why I chose an adapter without extra tripod mount, but now that I use the Sigma more often I'm scared that I damage something on my baby... :(:confused:

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I don't know what the carrying limits of the camera's lens mount are. But the easy way to avoid any possible problem would be to get a second adapter with a tripod mount. They're fairly inexpensive, and having the adapter always on the lens makes lens swapping so much easier. I've gone this route with my Canon FD 85mm f/1.8, which also is heavy enough to cause concern.

3. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Your adapter should always be strong enough to hold your camera body. If your lens weighs more than your body, then you should be supporting the lens independently of the body. If it weighs double the body, then you can carry the lens and let the camera hang off it. You will be fine :)