Showcase Car Zeiss Contax Sonnar 135mm/2.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by xXx1, Jan 13, 2014.

1. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Again a placeholder. This lens has got minimum focus distance of 1.5m or so and 135mm is bit long for indoors anyway. I will take more photographs when weather is better.

Workmate, f/5.6 and two manual flashes. This was also experiment for my new flash bounce card made from white acrylic sheet (20 cm * 25 cm and bended into a rough spoon shape), other flash was mounted a smaller bounce card that was only bend in the bottom so it will reflect light forward. I will make another set next weekend and document them when I will get some black rubber exercise band that I plan to use make rubber bands to hold the cards (present ones are made from pink one and are gross).

and !00% detail.

Again without noise removal, sharpening etc..

I am happy with results but lens performance wasn't as good as I imagined. It is quite close to its minimum focusing distance so it may perform better focused far away.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    Is it soft or just not focused accurately?
  3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that focus is ok. It is not very soft but resolution isn't great either. I have Car Zeiss Jena 135mm/4 that is much sharper.

Images are ok. There is no sharpening or contrast adjustment done so images will much better after pp.
  4. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
  5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, so did I. Maybe it is my copy and this is only one photo (and close to its minimum focusing distance). I will take some test pictures with tripod during weekend if weather permits (weather has been much better [but colder] lately here) and especially with longer focusing distances.

I am quite certain that this lens needs adding contrast in PP, images are much better when I adjust exposure curve manually.
  6. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    I can only compare a cheaper Yashica C/Y 135/2.8 - it was sharper than that on my 5DII but was generally just not as exciting as the 135L so I didn't really use it.
  7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    No real possibilities to take photographs outside, first it rained for 3 months and it is now -16 C outside. I have to take some photos outside this weekend as sea is frozen and there is no snow yet but with a wider lens. Anyway I took some pictures in the office lobby today. Shooting distance was about 4 meters, timer, tripod and longish exposure time (so this could be even better with shorter exposure times but that has to wait).

For some reason resolution and contrast are much better than in minimum focusing distance. That even shows with focus confirmation, it works pretty nicely at 4 meters and badly at 1.6 meters.

Images have no sharpening or noise removal. A slight contrast boost. With some PP will make fine pictures.
  8. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Today outside. Contrasts are tweaked by using curves as lightning was pretty bad (lots of white snow reflecting light from everywhere). Tripod, first image focused differently

Nothing stunning really. Pretty sharp at 8.0 (and these have no sharpening in PP) but some CA still. Of course very usable but nothing close to Planar 50mm/1.7 or Sonnar 85mm/2.8.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. PeterT

PeterT New to TalkEmount

Jan 30, 2014
    These shots above don't look as good as they should. I have tried 3 copies of this lens over the last couple of months and optically they have all seemed pretty good. I haven't posted here before so hopefully this will work!

This was produced by my the first copy:

This was a test shot with my most recent (and final!) copy. Focused on the eyes and at minimum focussing distance

• Like Like x 4
  10. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yep, yours seem much better. I have to take more pictures when there is not so much snow. Snow and lots of light is pretty bad combination for any lens as there is so much extra light entering the lens. If other copies don't show low contrast and resolution (I have to take few pictures inside with tripod at about 1.6 meters) at near there must be something wrong with my copy.
  11. snpr9696

snpr9696 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 8, 2016
    Joe DAgostino
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 3, 2012
    somewhere betwixt here and now
    I'd reckon the same, especially at f5.6.
  13. ArendV

ArendV TalkEmount Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    The Netherlands
    My daughter coming home for the weekend @f2.8
    • Like Like x 6
  14. ArendV

ArendV TalkEmount Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    The Netherlands
    • Like Like x 4
  15. addieleman