Capture One Version 11 released

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by bdbits, Dec 2, 2017.

1. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Capture One has a new version out. Upgrade price for the Sony Pro version is $69.

What's new in Capture One 11? | PhaseOne

Looks like some good improvements, and supposed to be faster. I will probably upgrade at some point.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Andy Clement

Andy Clement TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Is upgrading worth it? I am so entrenched with Lightroom CC. There is also the learning curve.
    I'm tempted though because of the raw processing of sony files.

3. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I think a yes/no answer is difficult as a lot depends on your preferences, workflow, etc. When I switched, it was partly because I found LR's interface overly restrictive and modal. The C1 interface is extremely customizable, and you can save layouts for different editing setups (it comes with several defined). I also think C1 did a better job rendering my RAWs before I even touched them, and editing was more in line with the way I think about it. It has since grown to support, if you want to use it, extensive use of layers (not quite to Photoshop levels yet), great localized editing, and has always had some amazing color controls I have not begun to take advantage of. There are other things but those are the highlights for me. I much prefer it, but not everyone will.

The biggest thing LR has going for it, in my mind, is the community of people using it. C1 has built enough of a base that an online community is there, and there are lots of tutorials and articles out now, but not to the extent of Lightroom. And LR is also more extensible, whereas while C1 supports sharable presets and configurations, on Windows at least it is not scriptable ala LR plugins.

You can download it at Phase One. There are multiple versions. The feature-limited Sony-cameras-only Express version is free for you to use forever. You can unlock all the features for Sony cameras only for $79. You can unlock all the features for all supported cameras for I think $279. The Express version is pretty basic, and I opted for the Sony Pro to have all the features available. You will have 30 days of the full-featured version after you install, and after that it will limit you to the Sony Express feature set.

Edit: Here's one photographer's perspective on making the switch.
    Switching From Lightroom to Capture One Pro

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Andy Clement

Andy Clement TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2018
    I've got 2 days left on my pro trial before it defaults to the Sony express version. I should of used it more but LR was just so convenient.

I may opt for the Sony pro at some point. I do like how it renders the Sony files compared to LR.

I am pretty lucky in that the school district the wife works for offers Adobe Creative Cloud for only $15 a year. Lets just say, having several (ie many) friends who work for the same district (who are not photogs and could care less), I'm licensed to use Lightroom through 2022.

Thanks for the info. Something to consider.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Xterra

Xterra TalkEmount Regular

Feb 8, 2016
    Dan
    Better AND CHEAPER than the LR subscription .... I upgraded to Capture One Pro Sony 11 (US$69 ) from LR6 .... Hate the idea of a subscription model especially moving / traveling between continents Americas / Europe mainly
    Goodbye Lightroom! Was a great ride LR3 to LR6

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.