Capture One Pro - Local Adjustments

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by dbmiller, Aug 6, 2017.

1. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I'm starting to be very glad I went with Capture One and upgraded to the Pro version for Sony.

The recent photo shoot I did with my daughter and her boyfriend went really well. Lovely location, lots of good pics. But the images needed some cleaning up. When I used LR/PS, I would have to do all my clean up in PS after doing the main adjustments in LR. But with the local adjustment layers in C1P, no need for PS...

100% crop of one of the photos. Straight out of C1P with default adjustments on import.
    17-07-28 Stanley Park 0130 2.

Stray hairs, acne, and some other spots that could use some attention. Enter the heal and adjustment layers, along with normal edits, et voila:

17-07-28 Stanley Park 0130 1.

Oops, I just noticed that I now have a floating hair. Looks like I have a little more work to do...

• Like Like x 2
  2. tomrock

tomrock TalkEmount Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    I used C1 years ago and I still play with the free version for Sony from time to time.

My issue is that Lightroom does so much more and I know it so well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Lightroom (and PS) for me eventhough I have C1 Pro for Sony. Probably too lazy to get to grips with the latter's UI.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I used LR a few years ago, then switched to C1 "Pro". It's weaker than LR on managing photos, otherwise I have not found anything lacking, and in some ways it is superior (in my opinion). I get better results than I did with LR. The C1 UI looks more primitive and does take a little getting used to, but is actually extremely customizable and almost never modal, which is a real plus in my book.

It is good we have choices.

• Like Like x 2
  5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I've considered a switch to Capture One several times, but I stumbled over two dealbreakers: 1) no easy way to use home-made camera profiles and 2) no easy way to use home-made lens profiles. The one thing that I really miss in Lightroom, is the ability to apply local colour adjustments.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I do not know much about lens profiles. There is a little info here - sounds a bit over my head. And you can save these as a style in C10 (I think that is new to C10, but not sure).
    Editing photos (lens correction)

I do love C1 local adjustments, which can be used for many purposes. I am sure I under-utilize them. People sometimes compare it to PS layers.

It works for me, but I can understand why people use LR, too. I sometimes think about trying it again, as there is such a large base of support out there. C1 is improving some in that regard, but it is still a much smaller community. But I don't really like the subscription model, so for that and other reasons I am sticking with C1 for now. Like I said, good to have choices.

• Like Like x 2
  7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Thanks. These profiles are obviously meant to counter for color casts, which may be necessary when using rangefinder wide-angle lenses on mirrorless cameras for instance. The profiles made this way do not correct geometrical distortion, which is what I'm after. Adobe supplies free programs to make lens correction profiles; it takes some study, but it is most rewarding IMHO because you can correct geometrical distortion, vignetting and chromatic aberration for any lens you use. There's also free software to make camera profiles, that is if you spend € 70 on a Munsell colorchecker chart; I once needed that badly for my Panasonic G1 to get the colours right, for the Sony cameras it appeared less necessary though I still make and use my own camera profiles.

I've decided to stick with Lightroom and Photoshop for now. The minute differences on pixel-level detail aren't worth it to me now that I have 42 mln of them to play with. I've invested a lot of time to learn Photoshop and I don't look forward to climb yet another learning curve for Capture One or any other processing environment.

I hope one day Adobe will introduce local colour adjustments in Lightroom, that would save me a lot of trips to Photoshop.

8. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    I think I'm going to go C1P Sony soon. My CC subscription runs out next week and I am not going to renew it. I thought I would use photoshop more to make it worthwhile but have used it 2 or 3 times. 99.9% of my editing is in the RAW converter. The only thing I use PS for is panorama/HDR(rare) and the odd special effect. I think I can make do without for now. I do like the managment portion of Lightroom and a few of the other features but some of the Pro features in Capture One like focus mask and Luma curves are things Lightroom does not have. I guess for 50$, you can't go wrong.

9. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I'm in the same boat as you Mus. I have C1 Pro and CC. I have to admit I've never encountered a situation where LR produced a better image out of the box. C1 has a more customization interface that you can make your own. I'll even admit C1 seems more powerful with layers and various color adjustment features. Really, the only functional advantage I see in LR is the library management; it is so much more straightforward. Even that is actually debatable, because what Adobe did was favor simplicity and proprietary structure over choice and flexibility.

Even with all the pros for C1, I just can't get used to it. I find myself spending a lot of time playing around with stuff vs actually making my image better. I have customized it to look close to LR, but editing photos don't seem like an intuitive process to me and I don't enjoy it. I'm sure it is a learning curve thing, but I can't get past it and simply revert to Adobe CC (LR+ PS).

C1 is a great photographic tool. I guess 'm just too dumb or lazy to use it. :frown:

• Like Like x 1
  10. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob