Capture One price increase

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Kind of bummed to hear PhaseOne has upped the price of the Sony-only version of Capture One for Sony pretty significantly to $199. Upgrade price for existing users is still $69, but I wonder if that will go up too. Alternatively you could do their subscription for all cameras for $15/month (but prepay for a year).

I was finally getting decent at some of the more advanced C1 capabilities (in my own mind anyway) and have long preferred the way my RAWs came out vs LR even before much tweaking. The color editing is particularly nice, and the new layer functionality is pretty great. There is a lot I would miss, but I know Adobe has improved some since I last used it.

We'll see what happens with upgrade pricing, but I know I could not recommend it to most people at $199 when you can get LR+PS for $10/month, or any number of competitive RAW editors with no camera limitations for less than what PhaseOne wants for the Sony-only version. Bummer... I may switch back to LR if the upgrade price changes significantly.

Buy Capture One Pro Sony

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
That's a significant amount to justify. To go from $69-79 to 200....I wonder what their excuse is. Very disappointing. :(

Hawkman

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
My off-the-cuff guess: the obvious subsidy from Sony for the full "Sony" version has come to an end.

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
The free version is still free though.

But there's something about "Perpetual License"... does that mean they are removing version #s? Because if they are then it might still be worth it. Going from Capture One v. 8 > 9 > 10 > 11 would have theoretically cost the same.

To be honest, I never bought the pro version since I could do most things the pro version did with other software, and didn't like to upgrade every version (which the free one did give you). I might actually be tempted if perpetual license frees you from version number lock-in.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
"Perpetual License" is just the traditional licensing model. You pay a fee and can use that version forever, "perpetually" as it were. In contrast they also offer the trending subscription paid on an annual basis, but then you are always entitled to install whatever the latest version is at no additional cost. If you decide not to renew your annual fee, I believe you would not be able to use the software once your license expires.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom