Capture One Express for Sony

Black Elk

TalkEmount Regular
I have been poking around in this software for a few days and am pleasantly surprised with the features.....especially Adjustments - Styles and Presets. Lots of selections. For me it is easy to navigate once you get used to the layout of the menus.

Any other thoughts on this software?

Thanks much.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
I've been using it for a few years now. I have tried a few others now and then but always end up keeping C1 as my RAW editor.

Hard to argue with free, but upgrading to Pro/Sony has a lot of benefits. You can customize the workspace to your liking, and save different workspaces and switch between them. I think you also need Pro/Sony to get local adjustments (masks and layers), which are a standout feature and incredibly useful, and get moreso with each release. And the advanced color editors, which can also be used to smooth and improve skin tones if you are into portraiture.

I get that it is not everybody's cup of tea, but I really like it. If it wasn't already obvious. :)

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Regular
I have installed the Capture One 12 after getting the Sony.
I have CC (LR and Photoshop as you know) and I am used to both, mainly to LR but I found CO12 to be more powerful regarding the mastering of colours.
On the other hand I have my own limitations and I am sure if ever I moved to this software instead I would have a difficult learning curve. And... to work with layers one has to go to Photoshop.
Just a few words about this program. I hope you do not mind the little highjacking...
:)

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
C1 has layers, with some limitations. There are many ways to create them - you can paint them in with a configurable brush, turn a color selection into a layer, some tools automatically go into a layer (e.g. gradients), you can use color selections as a layer, and vary the opacity of each layer to soften an effect. Version 12 added luminosity masking, which is awesome. The biggest thing I *really* wish they would change is that the layers are only within the current image. i.e. you cannot stack photos. :(

I am sure there are other things vs LR/PS, but I find layers in C1 to be one of its most useful features.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
I started with C1 Express for Sony too. And came away impressed by it. And now prefer it as my main editor. I'm still at 11 Pro, haven't upgraded to 12 due to cost.
I too wish stacking was included.

BTW, you can download a pack of complementary presets from Capture One, and Matt Granger has his presets for C1 available at his website for free.

Brian Barth

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Brian Barth
I've been using Capture One for quite a while now (I think I started with version 8) and upgraded from Sony (Free) to Sony Pro and never regretted it.

What really stands out for me is the quality of its RAW conversion. Images are so brilliant and its tools are outstanding in regard to quality. Take curves for example which features Luma as well your standard RGB - its implication being that with Luma you can change the luminosity/contrast without affecting saturation and hence keeping to look of the colours.

Also HDR does a great job recovering blown out highlights and dark shadows - it's amazing what Sonys sensors have to offer.
The colour editor lets you easily select a colour range and change just this part of the spectrum which is great when you need that blue sky but forgot your polarizer filter.

Never are edits feeling "extreme", the image quality remains pristine.
With the growing organisation features you also get a great to to catalog your images, enhance them with metadata, rate them etc. Still missing in this regard is the ability to geo-code images (I use HoudahGeo in my workflow, which works nicely) and then display a map of all the images taken in that area (Apple's Aperture used to do that).
No face recognition either (but not missing it).

All in all CO is a great library for your images and IMO the best raw editor out there. Albeit being pricey I think it is worth that money. The learning curve might be steep but when you know the basics of any other RAW editor you will get along quite well. They also have training videos...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom