1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Capture One 9 has been released

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by bdbits, Dec 4, 2015.

1. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Not sure it has been mentioned on the site yet, but PhaseOne has released version 9 of Capture One. There are definitely some interesting looking additions, and a new processing engine among other refinements. It is only $40 (US) to upgrade my C1 Pro for Sony, so I think I may update over the weekend.

More info on new features is at What's new in Capture One Pro 9? | PhaseOne.

Upgrade info (for me anyway) at Upgrade Capture One (for Sony) (might differ depending on country and which license you have).

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I've tried it and I don't honestly see any difference in processing.

I'm sure I will upgrade at some point but for now v8 works just fine for me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I downloaded the trial version and spent two days watching the tutorials and doing "what does this slider do" exercises. But I came away with no real reason to switch from Lightroom, and several reasons not to. Maybe I'll be forced to reconsider later if Adobe moves Lightroom into the subscription model. But for now...

4. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Oh I understand that perfectly. It would depend on what features you use, as to whether the upgrade is worthwhile. I am interested in the new color/luma editing, but have not had the time to sit down and upgrade myself yet.

One thing to note is for the photos you already have in C1, it keeps the existing processing engine. You have to select the new engine for any existing content. I have seen some side-by-sides posted that show some very subtle differences, but it does not look like a huge change. C1 already did a pretty good job for me, too.

• Like Like x 2
  5. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Choice of editing software is largely personal preference. I used to use LR myself, and C1 certainly has its own weakness particularly in managing photos. I do prefer C1's starting point converting my RAWs and the general controls, so for me I get a better result. The good thing is that we do have choices, whatever one decides to use.

I wasn't trying to push C1, just let people know there was an update for anyone who might be interested.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Well, I've updated my license.

I have been trying to find the perfect raw editor for ages and ended up with LR4, Photoninja and C1P. C1 is the one I use 90% of time so makes sense to upgrade. It may be just me but it seems the new engine produces slightly better results.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. s10010001

s10010001 New to TalkEmount

Aug 7, 2015
    Scott
    Ill give it a try... I'm currently using Lightroom 5.7 on my Mac, but I have been looking to get away from Adobe products.. I don't want a monthly subscription to be able to use all of my software...