• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Canvas Print Mini Review

sapoeijoek

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Edwin
Recently ordered canvas prints from two canvas printing labs, CanvasPeople and CanvasOnTheCheap. Tried their promotional offers, just wanted to try it out since they're very cheap, for only $23.80 for CanvasOnTheCheap and $23.63 for CanvasPeople after tax.
My monitor is well-calibrated, what I see on my monitor screen almost perfectly matches how it looks in real life. But the brightness, contrast, and colour could be slightly off on your monitor.

Both are 20x16 Canvasses. The prints aren't bad for canvas, I intended to make it looks like a painting so I chose this one:
DSC01637.jpg
ILCE-7    ----       f/1.0    1/200s    ISO 400

Since this is 20x16, cropping is needed. On CanvasPeople, cropping is very limited, only up or down. But CanvasOnTheCheap is a freestyle cropping but still automatically adjusted to aspect ratio. The colour? well, it's off. Cooler, bluish but I really don't mind it at all.
DSC02206-Edit.jpg
ILCE-7M3    FE 35mm F2.8 ZA    35mm    f/5.6    1/60s    ISO 800

DSC02209-Edit.jpg

DSC02213-Edit.jpg

Canvas texture. I prefer CanvasPeople, rougher than CanvasOnTheCheap which is too smooth for my taste. On the other hand, I like the canvas' colour on CanvasOnTheCheap, it's off white unlike bright white like CanvasPeople.
DSC02214.jpg

I guess that's it folks, my mini-review. I have decided the print from CanvasOnTheCheap is going to be the keeper. Keep in mind though, the print might look totally different if I chose a lightly edited photo or portrait.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
They do seem pretty close in many respects. Like you I kind of like the CanvasPeople material, but it almost looks like the image has increased the saturation even from the original.

I've never done canvas prints at all, seems pretty inexpensive. Thanks for sharing.

sapoeijoek

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Edwin
...the image has increased the saturation even from the original.

Thanks for sharing.
Besides the saturation increased, it's added a blue tint to it too. Also, the colour of the windmill both looks slightly different.
You're welcome.

fractal

Super Moderator
Real Name
Chris
Beautiful photo. It's a shame neither could capture the entire reflection of the windmill. Canvas people one definitely has better color and richness.

sapoeijoek

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Edwin
Beautiful photo. It's a shame neither could capture the entire reflection of the windmill. Canvas people one definitely has better color and richness.
In real life, yes canvaspeople one looks better even though it’s more bluish/cooler.
Thank you.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
I had forgotten seeing the backs of paintings on canvas. Each corner has wedges to keep the canvas stretched. Is this irrelevant to photos printed on canvas? Or just something that one wouldn't get at the price.

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
I would think that the bright white canvas would mean the print would be closer to true colors, as any lightly (or non-)applied ink would leak through to the off white. But if both prints' colors are off, then either they aren't matching the color profile, or are modifying the input according to some LUT that they think is necessary for their printer.

I've only done two canvas prints over the years. One was done at a photo store that used to be in our mall (but is now no longer in business). It was a composite I put together of photos taken of myself and my wife separately while on a cruise. The backgrounds were black, and I had no trouble fading both to pure black to composite them together and extend the edges for the wrap. That one was nice, but expensive as I recall, even with a 50% off X-mas sale. Was nicely done, though...

IMG_20210112_145538679[1].jpg
moto e    ---    4mm    f/2.0    1/30s    ISO 370

The other came from a Facebook ad, if I recall correctly, and was "free", just pay processing and shipping. Was still about $20, and it was definitely cheap. Very textured and the colors just don't pop...

IMG_20210112_145619340[1].jpg
moto e    ---    4mm    f/2.0    1/30s    ISO 292

Top Bottom