Can't get an external flash to work on the Sony NEX6

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by izzikiorage, Jul 30, 2013.

1. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    Hey everyone,

Just recently purchased the Sony NEX6 and am having a ball with it ever since.

I also have a flim based SLR, a Minolta and Wanted to know if I could use this with the NEX6. The flash is pretty old and doesn't have too many settings on it. Just a manual fire button and a cable input. Can this work with my NEX 6

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Did you set the camera to Fill Flash?

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

3. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    Not very sure i did, will give it a shot this weekend and let you know

Sent from my GT-I9300 using TalkNEX mobile app

4. Nex Tex

Nex Tex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 25, 2013
    I connected my Nikon flash (SB-800) to the Nex 6.

What features, if any are available? I assume TTL is not an option (even though the camera claims to be doing fill flash)?

When I put the flash on TTL it does not fire (the red light blinks instead). I have to put it on M (totally manual) or A (which means the flash does the metering using its eye; you have to tell the flash the ISO and the f stop).

Have I pushed the limits of compatibility here or is there something else that can be done?

5. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Indeed I guess that's about it. My Olympus FL-50R behaved the same: the only communication between camera and flash is firing the flash. Apart from the centre contact of the hot shoe everything else is manufacturer-specific.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

6. Nex Tex

Nex Tex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 25, 2013
    Makes me want to consider selling my Nikon SB-800 and replacing it with a Sony flash. What are the options?

7. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    Ps. The flash works on pushing the manual test button or when i push the hotshoe mount.

8. stratokaster

stratokaster TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2011
    I strongly recommend to NEVER use this flash on ANY digital camera unless you want to fry your camera's electronic circuits.

Vivitar 1900's trigger voltage exceeds 90V and is dangerous to digital cameras. For all I know, you may have damaged your camera already.

Here is an extremely useful list of safe and unsafe film-era flashes: Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

9. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Wouldn't be the first time a flash wouldn't react to a NEX camera. I tried a Minolta 5600 HS-D the other day and it just wouldn't fire although the flash seemed fully functional. A second sample worked right off the bat. I've read reports of others with mysterious refusals of NEXes to fire a flash. So don't immediately assume your camera is defective, go to a store and ask for a demo with any compatible Sony flash to check your camera.

10. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    Thanks everyone, will go to a store today to get my camera tested out. And will definitely not use this flash on the camera.