1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon's EF-M 11-22 Ultrawide Zoom: Too Good To Pass Up

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Jefenator, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I came pretty close to getting the 16-35 for my A7 but wound up getting the 11-22 for my funky old Canon EOS M instead. It won out because it's tiny, has a very good reputation for performance and is only $399. (It certainly helps to have the EOS M body already handy, though a quick eBay search turned up a body-lens kit that still comes in at less than many other lenses of this type.)
    I put the new acquisition through its paces in the Eastern Sierra and Death Valley.
    eosm1122-1. eosm1122-2. eosm1122-3. eosm1122-4. eosm1122-5. eosm1122-6. eosm1122-7.
    For my application, this pairing was a good compliment to the A7. It was nice to be able to deploy ultra-wide without having to change lenses. A second A7 body with a big zoom might have been a bit silly for hiking but the 11-22 on the EOS M body felt just right - almost like just another lens.
    I did bitterly miss having a good EVF at times. (The newer EOS M3 body does offer that option.) In terms of IQ, the full-frame captures with the Zeiss T* primes do have a certain sheen - particularly when you're pixel peeping. There were a few scenes where I might have liked to have had the greater character nuances of the Sony/Zeiss zoom - particularly for sun star rendering.
    The smaller system did hold its own, though - it gave me 12 out of the 27 share-worthy frames from the trip. I did a few bracketed shots in case Canon's notoriously lesser dynamic range came up wanting, but never wound up having to resort to HDR. Shooting both systems RAW and using custom calibrated color profiles, they mingle pretty well.
    If I wind up trying to pay a mortgage with ultra-wide landscape shots, I'll surely upgrade to some of the full-frame solutions but this was a great way to be dipping my toe in the ultra-wide waters. (It takes some getting used to and like anything else is easy to overdo at first.)
    I scoffed when the EOS M system first came out but I now find I can't quite get away from it. For exceptional compactness and value - with IQ just one notch below full-frame (well into overkill for my real needs), this system has a unique appeal.

• Like Like x 7
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Great scenery and photos! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    Stunning landscapes. The one with pink clouds is absolutely amazing.

4. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I was gonna say how impressed I was until the last two... unfortunately the water/white balance in shadow with sun in frame would be dealbreakers for me personally :(

5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Stunning vistas in Death Valley and the distant Sierras! The reason for owning one is as justified as NEX adopters, to get that small form factor. Looks like the Canon M system can hold its own. I wish there were more options for E-mount.
    The 10-18 f/4 is a very good lens, but a pricey option for its speed.

"Hey Sigma, Tamron, Samyang! You would sell boatloads of 10-20 f/2.8 UWA Zooms in APS-C E-mount." Don't need OSS, don't even need AF.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I hadn't really considered the 10-18 for APS-C e-mount. I do still have my old NEX-7 which could have worked well with that.
    The price point was awkward for me, though. (If you plan to stick with APS-C e-mount and shoot a lot of wide stuff, it make perfect sense - I must admit the extra resolution and EVF would have been real nice at times.)
    When I first got the NEX-7 I did try the Tokina 11-16 for A-mount with the LA-EA1 adapter. I immediately hated the size & handling and I think I had a particularly soft copy so I returned it.

7. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    I think part of the appeal would be the 10-18 cover full frame for part of its range. Don't have one myself but considered it for a while.

Sent from my iPad using TalkEmount mobile app

8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I've considered it too (since its also significantly cheaper than the FE 16-35) but my issue with this is that it basically turns the SEL10-18 into a prime lens, losing its versatility/convenience of a zoom lens...

9. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I dunno - if I wanted a wide prime for the A7, I'd probably just get a wide prime for the A7. (There are a few options in the $800 ballpark.)
    I did think real hard about the Batis 25mm. Lucky for me, it wasn't readily available before the trip. (That particular viewing angle wound up being one of the least used.)