Canon to NEX

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by Amamba, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Hi to all

Long time Canon Rebel user, just last week picked up a used NEX F3. Was intending for it to be a travel cam but now thinking of replacing my DSLR with a mirrorless. Someone on Canon forum (POTN) suggested this site. Just want to say hello !
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Hello and welcome! :)
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Welcome. Not a lot of F3 owners, but we are growing.
  4. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    I still have my Canon dslr but the poor thing is being neglected. These Nex cameras are addictive. Oh Welcome!
  5. kaptnkain

kaptnkain TalkEmount Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    Hello from POTN!

I've pretty much completely replaced my 40D with a NEX-6, and I'm loving it!
  6. Trio

Trio New to TalkEmount

Feb 17, 2013
    My situation is similar. I'm a long time Canon DSLR user, and still use & enjoy the Canon system, but I purchased a 5N a week ago, and I really love it so far for using legacy glass. Have fun with your F3.
  7. MikeCaine

MikeCaine TalkEmount Rookie

Nov 28, 2012
    Isle of Man
    Have a 5D MkII and a set of L lenses but nowadays I generally prefer my NEX-7
    Ex POTN user as well
  8. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Well I am still going to visit POTN - they still have the wealth of general photography info and a great community. But I will be spending much more time here.

Analyzing my shots so far, the best photos are still on Canon side, however I can turn out very acceptable photos with Nex. So I need to learn it better, and get some good glass.
  9. kaptnkain

kaptnkain TalkEmount Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    If you want quality glass, take a look at the Samyang/Bower/Rokinon/Vivitar primes. They're on the large side for lenses, but the quality is amazing. Their 85mm is easily better than the Canon 85mm F/1.8, on par with the Nikon 85mm F/1.4G. The 35mm F/1.4 bests the Canon 35mm F/1.4L and the Nikon 35mm F/1.4G. These lenses are MF, of course, but with the NEX's focus peaking focusing these is very quick and easy.
  10. Hawon

Hawon TalkEmount Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Yup I completely replaced my 40D as well with a nex-5r

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  11. Electric Shepherd

Electric Shepherd TalkEmount Regular

May 12, 2012
    Leicestershire, U.K.
    Welcome to the Nex forum.

Funny, I still think of a venerable Nikon film body whenever the F3 is mentioned!
  12. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Some random observations so far, compared to Canon:

- the low light capability is outstanding

- the scenes actually produce RAW + JPEG, unlike the "idiot" mode on Canon that's JPEG only. Shooting action using Scenes pre-set produced better results than using Shutter priority.

- the SOOC JPEGS could be very useful - I find some of them are better "processed" than what I'd get in same conditions with my T3i, especially in low light. However, even with "low" NR, the noise reduction is atrocious and can destroy details in shadows (like hair). I wish there was a way to dial in NR as opposed to just having 2 values to chose from.

- OTOH, can't have Auto ISO in Manual mode. Perhaps there's another way to pre-set both shutter and aperture and keep the ISO on Auto ?

- The flash is not as good / predictable as on Canon. I am not getting the results I want, especially when using direct flash. It seems a bit weaker overall, but at the same time it doesn't seem to properly adjust flash output for closer subjects.

- You can flip the screen up, turn the camera upside down, take an overhead photo and it would be in the correct orientation. I assume this works with video as well. So the fact that sceen only articulates a little bit down is irrelevant.