• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Canon SD1000 picture thread

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
As Ad wanted, and since I have a 'sickness' with this little camera, here are some pictures taken with one. I usually have one with me when I go for a bike ride down at the beach, even when I'm carrying one of my Sony's. I've got a Lowepro case that holds my phone and a camera nicely so it's always going where I'm going.

IMG_1315.JPG

IMG_1334.JPG

IMG_1335.JPG

Besides being an 'everywhere' carry for me, I use it to make videos of my trains when they're set up. I'll see if I can find some of the 'macro' pictures I've taken with one as they are pretty nice too, IMO.

IMG_1137-1.jpg

Last edited:

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Nice shots!
Those old Canon Elph/Powershots took very good pictures. In good light, those CCDs returned excellent colors and contrast. Like you, I still have my SD 790 IS, and also carried about in a tiny Lowepro case that resembles one of their larger camera backpacks. It's so convenient to take along and returns better pics than my cellphone.

Now that you have 5...maybe have some fun with them setting up a 180-360 degree capture of stills and videos!

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
For a camera that isn't much bigger than a deck of playing cards, it is remarkable how much it can do. I've used it as my GoPro camera taking videos in the car, on my trains and just playing around. All with fairly decent sound too.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
For a camera that isn't much bigger than a deck of playing cards, it is remarkable how much it can do. I've used it as my GoPro camera taking videos in the car, on my trains and just playing around. All with fairly decent sound too.

"But wait....there's more!!" :D

Another clever and neat trait of these cameras is that the firmware has been hacked. A dedicated group of enthusiasts have learned how to add more features to the cameras, like output RAW files, lightning detection, motion detection, greater manual mode controls, Zebra, etc. I believe the SD1000 was among the models able to be enhanced.

Do a google search on CHDK. You convert your camera to have these features via a firmware loaded to the SD card. And it's not permanent, the original firmware stays intact, it simply loads the alternate firmware when you choose it at the start. Or have it load everytime you power up, like an auto.bat file.

Last edited:

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
"But wait....there's more!!" :D

Another clever and neat trait of these cameras is that the firmware has been hacked. A dedicated group of enthusiasts have learned how to add more features to the cameras, like output RAW files, lightning detection, motion detection, greater manual mode controls, Zebra, etc. I believe the SD1000 was among the models to be able to be enhanced.

Do a google search on CHDK. You convert your camera to have these features via a firmware loaded to the SD card. And it's not permanent, the original firmware stays intact, it simply loads the alternate firmware when you choose it at the start. Or have it load everytime you power up, like an auto.bat file.

Really?
I just might have to try that with one of my 'spares' once the new one comes and checks out OK.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
My camera was delivered this evening. Good packaging job. A quick testing says all the functions are working as designed. I think it's got just the right amount of patina to it too. I won't have to worry about putting the first 'ding' in it but it's not a used up example either.
IMG_1669.JPG

The batteries will need some exercising but will do in a pinch. The 2gb card is a great size for this size camera too. Not too big, not too small, just right.

Reactions: WNG

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
IMG_1671.JPG
My wife came up with an article on how to attach a laser beam to her sewing machine which makes sewing a lot faster since you don't have to draw lines to follow. Here's a shot of the initial install on her Pfaff machine. Seems all the new machines have them now days.

Last edited:

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
So this morning I'm off to take the hood and some tires I picked up for my brother up to his house.
He suggested I bring my bike so we could go over to Monterey and ride the bike path. Might be some photo ops there as the sea otters are usually in the bay near the aquarium.
Not the neatest load job, but I don't think anything will fall out/off.
IMG_1719.JPG

At least my bike isn't sitting up in the wind where it would cut down on the gas mileage.

johnson4096

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Dan Johnson
Its called Magic Lantern
Think Canon would be onto a winner if this was standard in their camera bodies.

Magic Lantern | Home
Magic lantern is for certain EOS bodies only. It's works as advertised and adds some terrific new features to the EOS. CHDK is for some of the Powershot cameras and, like Magic Lantern, it's useful and easy to use.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Didn't take my Sony camera on my ride today since I'd just finished cutting the lawn and well, I was kind of dirty to be handling my 'good' camera. But not my trusty little Canon! Hence you get to see what it was like down at the beach this morning.
IMG_0020.JPG

johnson4096

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Dan Johnson
I own a successor to the SD1000, the ELPH 300HS. I love that little camera and carry it in a shirt pocket whenever I take one of my bigger Sonys on a photo expedition -wherever that may be to. At 12mp, it's detailed enough and it has wonderful color. I also own two other Canon P&S models, one 8mp the other 16mp, but the little ELPH beats them both, except in zoom length Actually the 8mp A720 IS is better than the much newer A4000IS. The later has great color but its images are a bit noisy. The A720 uses AA batteries and goes through a set quickly, so I never take it as a backup.

Your SD1000 is a great camera and I hope it gives you many more years of service.

johnson4096

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Dan Johnson
I've got a good supply of them Dan. I don't think I'll have to worry about one breaking.
View attachment 94996
This photo was actually taken by another SD1000, and my wife's isn't shown either.
I know, it's a sickness with me. Only thing I can afford to collect.

I guess you now a good thing when you've got it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom