Canon New FD 200mm / 2.8 Tele, 1st Generation with Helicoid Focusing Mechanism

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by roundball, Sep 29, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Ran across a mint condition 1st generation New Canon FDn 200/2.8 tele and couldn't pass it up.
    ( 1st generation has the full size fine tuning Helicoid Focusing mechanism same as the Canon FDn 200/4.0 Macro lens ).
    While the Helicoid Focusing mechanism requires more turns of the collar to go end-to-end it’ll offer me more capability for fine tuning focus (like the Macro lenses) for the kind of photos I go after...(no fast action / sports type photography).

It seems to function perfectly on the NEX-7…took a few quick ‘arrival test shots’, elbows resting on kitchen window sill.
    The ants on the apple peels (put out for deer) were 25' away...the Cardinal, and the Downy + Red-Bellied Woodpeckers 40' away.

• Like Like x 2
  2. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    really like the first bird shot, your really getting good at this :thumbup:

3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    They're really a striking bird...color, size, etc.
    Planning on more arrival test shots today but unless I'm over looking something, I think this lens has outstanding IQ...sharp, color rendition, etc...suspect it's going to be a keeper.

• Like Like x 1
  4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    A final sequence of an arrival-test-shot that makes the decision to keep it an easy one.
    Standing on the front porch, shot this little weed out in the yard, hand held leaning against the porch railing, cloudy / drizzly / less than ideal light…didn’t even know it had water drops on it, or the hairs on that stem / bud. Can’t get over the IQ / detail this thing captures…seems as good as my FDn ‘L’ lenses.

Canon FDn 200/2.8 with Helicoid Focusing mechanism
    NEX-7, Manual Mode, Spot Metering, Cloudy WB, ISO400, 1/200, F2.8

5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Another good arrival test shot...small Tufted Titmouse at 40'.

• Like Like x 1