Showcase Canon LTM 50mm f/1.4

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by WoodWorks, Feb 14, 2014.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I've not been much of a 50mm shooter. The field of view has always just seemed a little too tight to me. But some of the recent posts here with photos shot with fast fifties by Jefenator and DeadBear77, among others, got me intrigued. So when this Canon LTM 50mm f/1.4 showed up on ebay with a "Make An Offer" listing, I made a low-ball bid, and to my surprise, it was accepted.

I've only had it for a week, a week of almost continuous rain here, so I'm just beginning to get to know it. But already I'm smitten.

12509050395_ab1bf94a51_b.
    Mirror Ball.jpg by Holzwerk, on Flickr

Even wide open the center of the frame is sharp as a schoolmarm's tongue.

12509177473_91765c0995_c.
    Mirror Image.jpg by Holzwerk, on Flickr

Though the edges at f/1.4 are definitely soft, I think this has more to do with designed-in field curvature than any flaw in the lens.

12509181923_98ba1b3c3a_b.
    Winter Lavender 1.jpg by Holzwerk, on Flickr

And by f/5.6, it's sharp across the frame.

12509526434_7d83a98689_b.
    Winter Lavender 2.jpg by Holzwerk, on Flickr

In low light, especially with a camera that can handle high ISO, it's a dream.

12509047775_f274e75de2_c.
    Varsity.jpg by Holzwerk, on Flickr

My guess is that it will be stellar for indoor, environmental portraiture. And since it peaks wonderfully and has a great feel to the focus ring, manual focusing is child's play. Though the razor-thin depth-of-field at f/1.4 can be tricky.

But so far, I'm loving this lens, and I think I may be in danger of becoming a "normal" lens convert. :)

• Like Like x 9
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Great that you got a good one, and for a decent price. These lenses (especially those from Japan) seem to all have scratched front/rear elements and are priced way above their actual value IMO. So, good on ya! :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, there are some pretty nasty-looking ones for sale on ebay at prices that make me laugh out loud. But if mine has any scratches or other flaws on the optics, my aging eyes sure can't detect them. And the exterior cosmetics seem almost brand new to me. I don't know what the seller was thinking, but I feel like I got away with one. :D

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Fast fifties are the best! Nice shots too :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Congrats on the catch.

Images are looking good.

• Like Like x 1
  7. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    • Like Like x 2
  8. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yes, those were two write ups that set me off on the quest to find one of these. You gotta love the Intertubes. :p

9. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Congrats on that - looks like a good score on a cool old fast lens that is compact!

I have a similar vintage Canon FL 55/1.2 which is optically amazing but huge and very heavy.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, I know. It's seeing what you've done with it that makes me go out and spend all my money! :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  11. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I like the third one especially, also because the sharpness is not in the center which makes the picture more interesting IMHO. Also, that sharpness is not half bad for a lens of half a century ago at f/1.4!

• Like Like x 1
  12. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yes, it's one of the many things I like about shooting manual-focus lenses. Just frame, focus, and shoot. None of this focus-and-recompose nonsense, or laboriously moving the focal point to the correct spot. It's counterintuitive, but for the kind of shooting I like to do, it's much quicker most of the time. I even find myself manually focusing my auto-focus lenses.

13. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    • Like Like x 5
  14. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    • Like Like x 5