1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon legacy

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Deadbear77, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    So I've been "collecting" canon FD and FL glass for a little over a year now and this is what I'm come to...

19-35mm Phoenex 3.5-4.5
    28mm FD F2
    35mm FL 2.5
    35mm FD F2
    50mm FD 1.4
    50mm FD 3.5 macro
    55mm FL 1.2 x2
    55mm FD 1.2
    85mm FD 1.8
    100mm FD 2.8
    135mm FD 2.5
    200mm FD 2.8

And my only complaint is that I really like the focus ring on minolta lenses better.

Total spent...
    About 1700.00 usd.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Synomis192

Synomis192 TalkEmount Regular

May 26, 2013
    Do you seen any noticiable difference between the FD and FL 55mm 1.2? I'm sure that the FD would have better coatings and what not, but everyone seems to like the FL version more.

I might go to Canon if I ever need any tele/supertele lenses. They offer the best selection of tele primes haha. I'm actually looking for a Canon 300mm f/4 for wildlife

3. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I think the FD may be better in test scores, that would certainly not surprise me though I haven't shot with it. But there's something about the imperfection of the FL that gives it an iconic character for me. Certainly by the time you get to the FDn 50/1.4 which was considered the "reference" lens for Canon in the 1980s, the differences with FL lenses are very stark and the 50/1.4 is just a little bit predictable and possibly boring. If you want clinical sharpness and precision, you can't beat modern lenses. When you go for old lenses, a lot of the time you're going for character and rendition, and the FL 55/1.2 has bounds of it. I certainly didn't know that when I first got my FL55 (to me back then, a fast lens was a fast lens and I just wanted one), but it's the reason I still enjoy it despite the FE 55/1.8 which is as close to perfection as I've ever seen.

But again that might be my imagination :)

4. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I am about to receive my first Canon..the FD 24mm 2.8 and it has big shoes to fill as it will be my temp replacement for the SEL35F18 but so far from samples I have seen, it looks like I am going to enjoy it for sure. :)
    I have other manual lenses and I enjoy them a lot as well, but I also enjoy new ones, its like having many kids (which I have none lol) so you like them all in a different way. :D

5. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    you're gonna love it for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    I'm with you Deadbear. I have the following

20mm f2.8
    24mm f2.8
    35mm f2 - my long time fav
    50mm f1.8 - not a bad lens and super lightweight
    50mm f1.2 L - my newest addition and now not sure what took me so long to acquire it
    85mm f1.8 - nice 85 for the price.
    100mm f2.8 - eye cutting sharp
    80-200mm f4 L - I finally bit the bullet and bought this off a friend. It's a beast but amazing quality

Over the past few months I had a MD Rokkor 50mm 1.4, a CY Zeiss 50mm 1.4, a CV Nokton 50mm 1.1 and even the FE 55 1.8 and to me and my eye the FD 50mm 1.2 L is the most useful and beautiful lens I've used in a long time. Heavy son-of-a-gun but well worth it!

I also love the build quality of the FD line. Their little tanks and so satisfying to get 'the shot' using them. ;)

7. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    The 100 2.8 is an amazing lens. I really need to try and ways to use it more.

The 50 1.2 L is "that" good? Is it worth more than double, almost triple the price of the 55 1.2?

I forgot to add in my FL 50 1.4, it's not as sharp as the FD wide open but I love the character.

8. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    I can't say that I have had the 2 lenses side by side to compare but in the end I think the L version is worth it to me. I'm contemplating putting a thread together about my journey to find a 50mm lens that suited me best as I went through a few. The aspherical element in the L version greatly reduces spherical aberration giving a much sharper and more contrasty pic when taken at F1.2 as compared to a lens without it. I tend to shoot wider apertures so the performance wide open in a fast MF lens was critically important to me (and yes I know there are other stops on the aperture ring haha!). The L has significantly less CA then any other lens I've used with an aperture close to 1.2. It's sharp wide open as well. I just posted a few on the Sony a7 thread. I had a copy of the CV Nokton 50mm 1.1 and it was unusable to me wide open. I also had a MC Rokkor 1.4 but it had so much CA and bloom wide open I almost always had to shoot at f2 for the best result. I bought the L from a Japanese reseller for a very decent price. Only double the cost of a mint Fd 50mm 1.2 and it's in like new condition. Not a blemish on it. :D I sold a couple lenses that weren't seeing any action and had the funds so I went for it. I'm very very happy with it. This lens will stay in my collection forever.

9. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Got my Canon FD 24mm 2.8 and my first impressions is that it is VERY sharp and lovely rendering colors. The Bokeh is not as smooth as the SEl35F18 but overall I am VERY happy.
    Anyone knows of a hood that I can use for it? The original ones is almost impossible to find.

10. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Congrats. Some of my best shots were made with this one. As for the hood check on ebay but as said you would need the original one. Have a 52mm for the 35 and it does not do the job.

11. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks! Yes there is something very sharp about it like the awesome samples you posted. Loving it. I will go try some from a local store to see if I get lucky cause shooting lenses outside without a hood is not my favorite thing :D

12. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Food for thought:
    While the original Canon sort of tulip shape lens is nice, and I have them for my FD 24/28 lenses...there is benefit to be had using a screw in hood.
    If you might be taking scenics with that wide angle that would benefit from a polarizer, you can screw the screw-type hood into the polarizer allowing you to easily rotate the polarizer just by rotating the hood...can't do that with Canon's bayonet style.

I got some metal screw-in hoods with dust caps and thought they were very reasonably priced.

http://www.camera-filters.com/index...th=483&zenid=8e3d007f48fc85277de0f8fe20aaccb2

13. leemik

leemik TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    I only have one FD lens.. a 55/1.2 ssc aspherical.. unfortunately it mostly sits on a shelf because it's so darned heavy.. but now that I have a FF sony I may use it more as it ia more usable as a walk around on this camera.

I wouldn't mind picking up a 35/2 concave chrome nose one day..that lens looks so sexy

I think there one at keh.. $19

14. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    The 35 f/2 is my all time favorite lens

15. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
  16. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Well I tested a rubber hood for my 24mm from a local store and I am not seeing any vignetting issues and even with the flower one from my SELP1650 I cannot see any problems. I prefer the rubber one..never felt good having those flower ones with one areas larger than the others. LOL

17. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    I use a rubber hood on my 35mm and it works just fine as well. I actually perfer rubber hoods to plastic ones. Though, I dont think the old Canon FD OEM hoods where petals for the primes. I think their all flat and cylindrical. At least the one for the 50mm is.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    Not quite as many as deadbear, but I have lots of lovely canon fd lenses (vivitar 24mm f2, canon fd 35mm f2 chrome nose, 50mmf1.4 135mm f3.5 chrome nose (super sharp and cheap)

The best by far is my canon fd 55mm f1.2. I love the 35mm f2 but I prefer the 50mm focal length area, I think its just how I "see".

I know everyone shoots the FL, but I think its because its easier to get, the FD in good condition is a nightmare to get and the hood is rare as rocking horse $#!£

but worth it....

Leemik, get out there and shoot with it now!! I know it literally weighs more than an a7 but it is worth it! it is a crazy awesome lens. Do push ups, bicep curls and finger exercises to handle it! Its worth the effort.:biggrin:

It makes everything I shoot awesome, and its sharp wide open, this was shot at f 1.2 as you can see from the totally circular bokeh.

13491019315_04f63ed64f_b. Emma 4 by Mathieu Decodts, on Flickr

cropped in you can see I missed focus, check her nose, lips and eyebrows for detail at f1.2! Its miles sharper at f2 as well.

13904003179_cddec8e3e8_b. Emma up close by Mathieu Decodts, on Flickr

It is just lovely to use and results are beautiful, even wide open. I have the 85mm f1.8 but still prefer this lens, its that sharp. I did a comparison with my sigma 60mm and this is as sharp but goes wider and renders much more nicely.

• Like Like x 2
  19. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    I took these tonight with the 50mm f1.2 L, this lens is amazing to me. So creamy smooth. I was able to shoot these between 100-160 ISO at 1/60 handheld.

-- never mind. Can't get the pics to post. Will have to try later on the computer.

20. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    • Like Like x 1