Canon gets it, we don't

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by WestOkid, Nov 19, 2017.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Canon wins almost every category and the one meaningful category the don't(mirrorless), they are the only manufacturer that gained market share. Passing Sony for #2 behind Olymplus.
    The 2017 BCN camera rankings are out – Canon is up, Nikon and Sony are down | Nikon Rumors

Canon Mirrorless sales increase 70%
    Canon's Mirrorless Sales Increased by Over 70% in the Past Year

Take a look at the numbers and only someone who wants to ignore the facts can say we enthusiasts are essentially a niche crowd. The things we discuss on this site and others like it are not what drives the average consumer. We all go crazy about IQ, Dynamic Range, Innovative Features, 4K, EVF, flexibility, IBIS, legacy lens support, focus peaking, Apps, etc.

Interestingly, one can easily make a legit argument that Canon is behind just about every brand when it comes to overall innovation. In fact, they are behind most brands in many to all of the aforementioned categories. Even so, not only are they not losing ground, they are growing and solidifying their #1 ranking.

• Informative Informative x 4
  2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Never under estimate the market of the vlogasphere! So many wanting to join the youtubers and cash in on the revenue stream. Their latest model was a measurable improvement on their earlier dud, and the AF and flip out screen answered the needs of the masses. While all was quiet in the Sony front. No flippy screen, status quo in the APS-C line. And the new RX100 is stupidly expensive.
    One thing though, brand recognition is strong for Canon. Like Apple and Samsung are becoming for smartphones, Canon is synonymous with cameras from point-n-shoots to DSLRs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    What exactly is BCN awarding for? Individual camera models, or total sales? I clicked the link but got page of Japanese.

4. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Well, the average consumer is also what drives sales of hamburgers at McDonalds. So what if Canon has a #1 ranking? It's not like owning the camera brand with the best ranking means we get a check in the mail or our images are somehow better than they were before. Canon is a well known brand and if its a popularity contest I'm not surprised they won. I say congratulations to Canon and I still have no desire to own one.

Besides, Olympus is ranked #1 in mirror-less and having had owned an OMD I can see why. They produce well exposed, sharp images, the AF is fast and they're small. They tick aa lot of boxes for folks. Personally I wouldn't another Olympus mirror-less camera if you paid me but I'm not the majority. Given that Sony's current focus appears to be their FF offerings (which puts them waaaaay out of budget for most folks) I'm kinda surprised they are ranked as high as they are.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Market research and analysis firm BCN. Winners are determined based on sales volume, calculated from data gathered from thousands of sellers throughout Japan.

In any case they are not the only place you see this. This is reflected in the annual reports too. Sony's last report showed a slow down in overall sales, but growth in profits. The reason given by Sony was because they have chosen to focus on "high-end" vs. volume. Nikon is shutting down facilities to handle decline in sales. So I would say these numbers are pretty reflective of what's been going on.

Kevin you are spot on here. The fact is that we enthusiasts are effectively a niche group and don't drive rankings. Much in the same way that sports enthusiast don't drive TV ratings. Put the best game on without stars and expect low ratings. Put marque names on TV no matter how bad the teams actually are and watch the ratings go through the roof. In the states, Notre Dame hasn't been consistently good in half a century, yet they are the only college school with a weekly network TV contract. It is always the average person that puts companies on top. And for the average person, it is all about the perception, it's not about critical thinking. They just want to "feel" they are getting the best. If they feel this way, then they are sold. Brand reputation is far more important than the tangible facts and forget about introducing nuanced facts. Do that and you are not attracting people, you are basically driving people away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Cannon and Nikon users for the longest time said, "Mirrorless is useless and garbage." That is until Canon or Nikon make one and then "This is the best thing ever."

• Like Like x 2
  7. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Let's not forget you find Canon DSLR's on sale in every Costco, Walmart, BestBuy I have ever been to. Finding a place to buy a Sony FF body...that's a different matter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    The best selling camera on Amazon right now is the Fuji Instax 9. Basically the Small Fries of cameras?

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I don't give a — how popular a camera I own is, as long as it's popular enough that the company making it wants to keep making it better. So Canon can get 99% of the sales as long as Sony keeps making a better camera for me. Name recognition is king for most consumers. So Canon sells more. Shrug. Though it's been kinda fun lately over at DPReview, reading questions from all the Canon users wandering over to check out the Sony forums, and to see what's up with that A9 they’ve been hearing all about. :p

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    The 2017 BCN awards are for 2016 and are only for Japan.

Canons success in mirrorless comes from the sub US$500 EM10 which is a mirrorless without an EVF and mirrorless without EVFs sell very well there (the Olympus EPM series alone had 25% of the market in 2015.)

Overall, markets including digital cameras, are driven by price and value - and this is what Canon provides (helped by Tamron and Sigma) across a broad range of camera products. Sony generally prices its products at a premium (especially lenses) and is extremely unlikely to crack past 20% market share with its premium pricing policy. Consider smartphone - ios products are just as good as Android but Android has 85% market share.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Uh-oh... :hide: :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 5
  12. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I'm kind of with WoodWorks in that I really don't care, as long as Sony keeps making the camera I actually want to use. Using a little hyperbole, if money were no object, wouldn't most of us choose a Phase One camera over a cellphone?

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    A Phase One photo would look the same as a cellphone photo if it's posted on Instagram. So why buy the Phase One? ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I am a Luddite. I don't use Instagram. Ever.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    A happy meal that keeps on giving! :D

• Funny Funny x 3