Canon FL Lenses with Adapters...Use with Nex and How...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by bobbill, Jan 8, 2018.

1. bobbill

bobbill TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2017
    Anal me figures there has to be a way FL Canon lenses can be used with Nex bodies. I have tried twice now and failed. FD seems okay, but earlier FL lenses do not...maybe why fewer Canons used on Nexes?

You use 50mm Canons, would love to understand how it is done. You will have to forgive me, I am recent Nikkor lens shooter who is fairly dim on the topic. I realize I should stop goofing around with fussy lenses and use the Nikkors, but I keep thinking the Canons have to be as good...

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I just did a quick web search on Canon FL lens adapters, and it seems you're not the only one running into difficulty, bobbill. Here's one post I found on DPReview from 2012:

Some FL lenses have a partially raised surface, like a hump, on the camera-facing end of the lens where the aperture control pin is located. This hump makes it impossible to breech-attach the lens to any of the Canon FD/FL adapters I have tried -- UNLESS -- you remove the screw-on pin on the adapter that is preventing the attachment. Trouble is, when you remove this pin, you lose the ability to stop down the aperture control pin in the lens, and thus the aperture ring in the lens no longer works. This won't be a problem if your FL lens also has an A/M control switch that locks the aperture pin independently of the adapter. However, my 50 mm FL lens doesn't have this, and so I am unable to control the aperture with the lens attached to my NEX-5N. I am tempted to insert a small shim in the slot of the lens aperture pin so as to hold it in the closed position permanently, but am afraid to put anything in there that might come loose, and damage the sensor. i was really looking forward to using this lens. My other FL lenses don't have the "hump" and work fine. I am enjoying using these lenses I bought when I started in photography back in the Sixties, especially the FL 135mm f1.2. I will post some photos soon.

Seems it may not be an easy problem to solve.

3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I only have two 135mm FL lenses, and they don't suffer any adapter issues. So, can't offer any advice. I suspect David may have found your dilemma.
    You can try to thread an appropriate nylon screw into the channel that will force the aperture lever in the enabled position. Then, follow the suggestion to remove the adapter's pin for clearance. Canon adapters are under $10 on ebay. Pick up an extra one to create a dedicated adapter for this troublesome lens.

4. bobbill

Oct 27, 2017
    Woodworks, yes I read that. Thanks.the

I have two 1.8 lenses...an FL and FD. The FL is plain...no switch...and the aperture seems to work only in concert with an adjacent ring to the rear...meaning setting it seems a two-step process...versus the single process FDs. Sooo, maybe I have to give it up. Not a biggie! But, seems a shame...in any event.

Yes, FL problems go back a ways. I bought an adapter that is sold as doing FD and FL, which, of course it does not.

I asked for help here because of the maturity and knowledge I have witnessed, as a sort of last resort.

I figure the FL is a lost cause...but I are sometimes stubborn...My old Canon FTb was a delight...do not know why I went to Nikon, but maybe that was a good idea...both cameras produced good images and I guess I like challenges (underdogs). Life is good.

WNG, I thought of doing "the remove pin screw," trick, but I might return the lens...no instructions so have no clue, which is par for me. (I know of what you speak, but seems the FL needs a "nudge" to get the aperture to be manual...each time it is set...not the case with the FD.

So, it appears I must stick with FDs and Nikkors for fun. Thank too for the help.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  5. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    I have an FL 55 1.2 that works fine with the adapter I am using. You have to make sure your adapter has a lock ring to slide the aperture lever to manual mode. You will also have to make sure the ring on the lens is all the way locked too.

6. bobbill

Oct 27, 2017
    I am beginning to understand that certain FL 50mm lenses, 1.8 and 1.4s are plain...no levers etc. But will work it out, especially I can find low cost 1.2...Thanks.

7. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I think you are having a mental block conceptualizing the steps to mount an FL/FD breech lock (big silver ring) and the nFD breech lock design of the later lenses.
    If you have 50mm f/1.8 lenses, these should work without a problem. The FD 50mm f/1.4 S.S.C. also mounts without issues.
    Your best bet may be to bring your lenses and the adapter to a local camera store and ask them to show you how to attach and operate the adapters.

8. bobbill

Oct 27, 2017
    WNG, Thanks.

This 1.8 50mm lens is an FL, not a nFD

The FD 1.8 lens I have only functioned after fiddling (I did something right and do not know what it was that I did).

The FL 1.8 50 lens has no levers or buttons. It does not "mesh" to the adapter or lock to it, seemingly due to an adapter pin screwed in from the adapter side (which seemly is removed but no instructions are included, to do so).

That pin can strike the raised portion of a rear interior lens finish cover/plate of the FL 1.8 and maybe 1.4 FL lenses.

Besides, and this is odd, the FL's lens I have has diaphragm operates with "two" rings, one to set the aperture, one (adjacent to rear) that "releases" the diaphragm so it can be set --- and this setting requires visual assurance by looking into the lens. That seems very odd to me!

As I indicated, not a biggie, I can stick with FDs or the few Nikkors I have, which all work as expected with the adaptors.

9. bobbill

Oct 27, 2017
    FWIW. I was able to look at the mounts on the 50/1.4 and 200 FDs and they appear the same, and different than my one 1.8 FL...in other words...flat. The one FL I looked at a 1.2 was also also flat, with a single protrusion, maybe that will work with adapters. Crazy stuff.

10. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    [Note to self: Remember when you were trying to decide between Canon and Nikon? This is why you went with Nikon. You made the right decision back then. Pat self on back.]

This has been an interesting thread to follow, at least for me.

11. bobbill

Oct 27, 2017
    Always on Auto...I have done what you suggest and still feel "ambivalent" about it. I like the Canon output and the Nikkors and then see a lens made by Canon at say half the cost of a similar Nikkor, especially if it is a FD and am very tempted to grab it...and then my frayed common sense kicks in! I know I will likely attach "x" lens on the Nex, and leave it, just like now...madding. Love to pick up a nice FD or FL and get fun and smile. It must be a sickness I need to cure...somehow!

I do appreciate help...I am learning, slowly...next will be software to equal my old prints (BW/monochrome mostly). I am too old for this stuff but admit learning stuff is very stimulating (fun). Film was fussy physically, but so easy, in comparison.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell Canon! :rofl:

OK, I couldn't help myself. Or didn't want to.
    If you don't know the (original) phrase it's from this comedy skit:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Hmmm, odd. Can you post a pic of the back of the FL 50 f/1.8? Curious.

14. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    BTW, while trying to search for a photo of the lens, I found out this lens is radioactive! So, don't sleep with it under your pillow! :D

15. bobbill

Oct 27, 2017
    WNG, just came to this. I will try to post a pic later, tomorrow. I did not know it was "hot" and bought to mess with...will keep in garage...it has a raised portion on back side which is odd. Every pic and Youtube thing shows rear of lens to be flat...I will post pics later. Maybe I have a very old FL. I looked inside, under that plate or cover and the raised portion seems unnecessary. And one Youtube thingy does not show secondary aperture ring and does show the little switch mentioned...I might have the odd thing, which is par for me...

16. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    No idea without 'seeing' it of course, but can't help but wonder if somebody might have physically modified it to fit a particular camera or something

17. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
  18. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    One can see a slight 'hump' at the back of the 85mm lens.

19. bobbill

Oct 27, 2017
    I will post in couple hours. Was unable to do yesterday and our server here was not "up" either.

I have wondered about someone messing with it, but does not seem logical, though possible. I would guess if it was done, it happened long ago. My interest is growing. Kind of a mystery. I would guess more of a very old FD lens...and will see if I can get a age estimate from seller. Interesting mystery. I had one link that showed a similar lens (with a hump) but seemed to have lost it.

20. sam

sam TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    Ontario
    sam_men
    My FL 50mm 1.8, fits like a glove. Never had any issues with it from day one.
    Same adapter for both FD and FL.
    As per HabsFan.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018