Canon feels threatened by Mirroless Cameras

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by ryandigweed, Sep 18, 2011.

1. ryandigweed

ryandigweed TalkEmount Regular

Sep 2, 2011
    Canon arranges a survey annually to find out what customers want. And this time they included 3 Questions about Mirrorless cameras. Seems like they want to know if Mirrorless Cameras are worth it to capture their market share in the Market. Canon also announced that they will be surprising it's fans on the 3rd of Novemeber (Maybe they want to announce a mirrorless camera), but we'll just have to wait to find out.

On the other hand Nikon is also planning on releasing some cannon cameras. Anyone interested?.

Read the full story here @
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    1) Since when does sending out a survey mean "threatened"?
    2) Canon has a right to make mirrorless cameras if they want to.

Using your debate, you could also say that Sony fealt threatened by Micro Four Thirds....:)
  3. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    I wouldn't mind seeing what Canon would come up with in the mirrorless segment.
  4. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Unless Canon or Nikon make a NEX-killer ILC camera with full frame image sensor and pro-grade build and features for less than the price of a 5D then I really don't care what Nikon or Canon do in the mirrorless space. They've taken too long to get in the market as far as I am concerned. For me it is NEX or m4/3 if you want an ILC camera.
  5. RT_Panther

Aug 9, 2011
    Got to disagree with you a bit here.
    If Canon & Nikon introduced a mirrorless format by Christmas with a nice assortment of lenses, then that assortment of lenses could very well put them ahead of Sony NEX.
  6. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    No matter how long it takes them I think both companies would still do well with CSC offerings even if they weren't particularly outstanding. With their brand profile and retail networks they can get their products all over the market. With consumers in major markets - especially the US and parts of Europe - convinced that if it isn't a Canon or a Nikon it isn't a 'real' camera they have a ready made constituency who prefer not to step outside the Canikon security zone. I think the only difference is that with M43 and Sony now well established in this market Canon and Nikon will not be able to dominate the way they dominate the DSLR market.
  7. ryandigweed

ryandigweed TalkEmount Regular

Sep 2, 2011
    1) Almost every brand feels threatened with the other (especially if you're going to loose your market share). Just like how a usual human being would feel insecure if someone else is with his/her partner allot.
    2) Canon may do whatever they want to, didn't say they shouldn't, by all means, the consumers will be benefiting with better products due to competition. This is just news/rumors so don't take it too personally. I'm a fan of Canon DSLR's & Compact Point&Shoots and sony Point and shoots (High Optical Zoom Cameras)

Agreed. :)
  8. RT_Panther

Aug 9, 2011
    I'm not a Canon owner nor user so it's not personal with me...Just logical....
  9. meyerweb

meyerweb New to TalkEmount

Sep 19, 2011
    I'm amused by the idea that one manufacturer might release a system that kills the competition, or that the existing entrants already dominate the segment so it's "too late" for Canon or Nikon.

Sony (Minolta), Pentax, Olympus and others have managed to coexist with Canon and Nikon for a long time, even though Canikon dominate the DSLR market, and dominated the SLR market before that. And don't forget than Canon once played second fiddle to Nikon, until Nikon rested on its laurels a bit too long while Canon continued to innovate. Will Sony, Oly or Panasonic pull the same stunt on Canikon? I doubt it. Canon, in particular, just has too many resources to throw at the problem if they choose to. I think there's plenty of room for multiple manufacturers in the mirrorless segment, including Sony, Canon and Nikon.