Showcase Canon FDn 24mm f2.0

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by quezra, Sep 11, 2013.

1. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Finally got my hands on a ridiculously mint copy of this somewhat mythical lens (yes it really does exist!).

First the unscientific handheld test shot (actually I took it last when it was getting dark so light was poor and I couldn't lower the shutter speed too much because of hand shake), wide open f2.0:
    KkJvQh1.
    Clearly some vignetting and possibly a bit of barrel distortion, which isn't unusual on legacy fast wides. This being on an APSC sensor, I can see why it was criticised a bit as soft for its film reputation. But check out the bleeding sharpness in the center.

I think the FDn 28/2.0 (which I no longer own unfortunately) gives a more consistent across-the-frame wide open performance, but even I don't remember it being this sharp in the center.

Anyway, being that my leisure time is fully occupied by a certain little bundle of joy these days, the only chance I had to play with this lens so far was out with her.

A full body portrait works great with this lens:
    zZcOqqy.
    f2.0 or possibly 2.8

MI0onVL.
    f4 or 5.6 I think

NiRdVPR.
    probably f2

S90iXbb.
    bokehlicious wide open

Anyway my conclusion? Instant keeper! Truly a legendary lens, but I'm not sure it will be that good on full frame. It took me a while to get some good shots, as clearly you need to know the lens's strengths and weaknesses but it's really fabulous for wide portraiture. Not so sure about landscapes. Hope to get a chance to play with this and my Lens Turbo (which I'm afraid my Turbo seems terribly soft so far)

• Like Like x 5
  2. asterinex

asterinex TalkEmount Regular

Aug 1, 2016
    Belgium
    Nice portraits ! I really like the rendering, colors and bokeh. Seems sharp enough wide open. Congrats !

3. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Thanks! I should add that this was shot on APS-C. On FF, you must be aware of a pretty strong vignette. But it's not a bad lens at all, just don't expect magic in the corners wide open.

• Informative Informative x 2