1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Canon FDn 17mm / 4.0 UWA

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by roundball, Nov 9, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Looking hard at this Canon FDn 17/4.0 UWA. Description is “Pristine / Mint condition…both caps, 72mm Hoya Skylight filter, Canon case, everything works perfectly as new”.
    At my request, seller verified back that he rechecked with an LED that there is zero haze, zero fungus, zero scratches, zero problems, etc.
    He only sells photo equipment and has 100% positive feedback rating, so I assume he knows what he's talking about.

Should have a field of view on an NEX about like a 24mm would have on a FF, right?

2. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    It ends up being 25.5mm. I had the opportunity to one of these in the past but in the end I passed on it given it's focal length and size. On Full Frame, it's a bit more attractive for sure. I'd also look at the Samyang/Rokinon 16mm f/2 if you want something to give 24mm equivalent on APS-C It's a couple of stops faster and probably more likely to give you better corners.

3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thanks, kind of what I figured...and since I live by the 'KISS' principle using identical Canon FDn lenses and FD/NEX adapters, it'll be a Canon :)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  4. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

I've heard good things about the 17mm. I think they say that the 20mm f/2.8 is better, but of course, it's also longer too.

5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thanks...I've got 24's...didn't want to take such a close step with a 20

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Have searched / found several positive comments about the Canon FDn 17/4.0 and have decided to go with it...early Christmas present :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Canon FDn 17mm/4.0 UWA arrived today so I took it along when I went to shoot the sunset. Mounted it / took a half dozen shots to get an idea what an “UWA” would look like where I normally use 24-35mm lenses. Seemed to work OK…more field testing planned to start learning how to best use it. (The only hood I had at the moment was slightly too big).

Canon FDn 17/4.0, NEX-7

• Like Like x 7
  8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Those clouds are awesome!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Had a little sun a while ago so I ran a few basic tests on the recent Canon FDn 17/4.0 UWA…NEX-7 / tripod / self-timer…checking basic aperture / focus functions, color / sharpness, etc.

Not being a pixel-peeper, just approaching it like my other manual Canon lenses, seems like the IQ is pretty decent. Next, I need to find / shoot some landscapes / skyscapes to see how it performs at distance.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Simple test shots with the Canon FDn 17mm/4.0 on an IR / NEX-7.
    Seems to do OK with Infrared

• Like Like x 6
  11. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    It's looking pretty good!

How interesting comparing the size of it with the native kits and pancake 16.
    16-50 and the 18-55 are f/3.5 at the wide end. And the 16 pancake is f/2.8.

Needing to be retrofocus to work at such register distances sure added bulk and diameter to the lens.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Took a brief drive today looking for targets of opportunity to learn more about this Canon FDn 17mm/4.0 UWA I just picked up...here's one shot of a big lone bare tree...can't believe how close I was to it yet it all fit into the frame.

• Like Like x 3
  13. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Roundball - This lens looks like a good one for those that need a legacy UWA. I went with the Fdn 20mm before I got my 16-35z. The FDn 20mm is good too.

BTW- You may want to create a thread in the "Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase" forum so others can easily find samples. Most won't go to the "open discussion" forum for sample images.

14. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Well, with where I am just starting up the learning curve with a UWA, I kind of feel like it might be presumptous of me to be "showcasing" it.
    Something might appear to be a shortcoming of the lens, when in reality it might be entirely my fault and erroneously give the lens a bad rap.
    :)

15. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Here's a ho-hum set of RR tracks to see what the lens would do.
    I also noticed the lens flare AFTER I loaded the images onto my laptop...it was terribly bright and the suns angle was wrong for the shot, but I was there and wanted to take it. ( Turning around and taking it with the sun behind would have brought buildings, houses, cars, etc, into play. )
    Also, I must have been concentrating so hard on the shot alignment that I looked right past the flare...and/or they were not noticeable because the entire scene was lit up / twinkling with 'Focus Peaking'.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  16. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Found this scene that let me experiment with an obvious foreground element close to the UWA lens

17. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

This is the sort of shot that's really useful in a showcase, since it says something about the physical attributes of the lens itself, for what it's worth.

Regardless, very nice converging lines!

18. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    And a final UWA shot from today...huge field with rows of 'Milo' yet to be harvested.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  19. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thanks...and after today I'm getting comfortable with the lens...if I can find a couple of cleaner / prettier images to shoot, I'll put them in that 'showcase' section

20. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I've never used a UWA lens before so I have no other UWA frame of reference to compare this Canon 17mm to...but after a good night's sleep and a fresh review of this whole thread this morning, I'm satisfied it seems to have good IQ and capabilities...opens up a whole new set of things to experiment with...so it's now officially an early Christmas present.
    :)

• Like Like x 2