1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon FDn 100-300 / 5.6-L

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by roundball, Dec 7, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with this Canon 'L' lens?
    Understand it's not a 'fast' lens...but seems like the utility of the focal range could be very useful on bright days and/or shooting Moon shots, when apertures would probably be stopped down into the 8.0 / 11.0 / 16.0 range anyway...

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, I had one for a while. But once I got the SEL70200G, up on eBay it went. You can see some shot I took with it and my A7 here, It's a very good lens, but it's a big 'un.

• Like Like x 1
  3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thanks for the photos...looks like excellent IQ as I'd expect from a 'L' lens. And most of the time I'm using a Canon FDn 300 or 400 anyway, and its smaller than either of those, so it's size won't be an issue. Plus with a 58mm front end, I already have filters & hoods that size.

So far, zero functional negatives have come back from places I've asked the question...and knowing Canon's FDn line of lenses, I'm going to pull the trigger on one I've run across. Mint condition...2 week return policy at a place I've bought from before...I'll wring it out thoroughly before the sun sets the day I get it...so, very low risk.
    Thanks again

4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    The FDn 100-300/5.6-L hasn't arrived yet, but the FD 2x-B Tele Extender did.
    Just tested it with an FDn 80-200-L to ensure it worked, and to get an idea of the resultant IQ.

At 200/4.0 it was a 400/8.0 and thought it did pretty good, just shooting from the window sill.
    If the 100-300-L does as well I'll be a happy camper.

5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    THE GOOD NEWS:
    USPS mail delivered my Canon FDn 100-300/5.6-L lens just now.
    If ever a pre-owned lens could look showroom brand new it would be this lens...simply not a mark on it.

THE BAD NEWS:
    Sun is down / no light...can't check it out until tomorrow morning.

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    UPDATE:

Dark and raining yesterday...couldn't test it out...but today is clear and bright.

Shot some moon shots before sunup and it seemed OK at an object 238,000 miles away.
    Then after the sun came up giving me good light, I started shooting birds in the backyard as I've done with many lenses almost every day for a year now.

Unfortunately, for the lens to be such a picture of as-new looking perfection, I can't get it to sharp focus on birds at 30-40 feet. Packing it up and returning it.

7. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    That's a shame :(

• Like Like x 1
  8. 986ster

986ster TalkEmount Regular

Jan 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Well, that's a different lens...was looking for a Canon FDn 100-300 / 5.6-L manual lens...thanks for trying to help out though.

10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    OK, lens has been returned and refund received.

In the meantime I found an even more suitable lens for what I had it mind...a Canon FDn 85-300/4.5.
    It's built like my other big teles, has Canon's built-in tripod collar, a built-in hood, and is almost a stop faster than the 100-300/5.6 I had been trying..
    So in one respect it looks like the need to return the 100-300 may have been a lucky break as this is a better built lens overall.
    Holidays will slow down delivery some but it's in a neighboring state just a few hundred miles away so I should have it right after new year's day...in time for the next full moon on January 6th.

• Like Like x 1
  11. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    "...in time for the next full moon on January 6th..."

FYI...realized I had made a typo so for the sake of accuracy...January's Full Moon is on the 5th, not the 6th.