1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon FD35-105/3.5 - any thoughts ?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Amamba, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I have a chance to buy this lens for sub $50, should I go for it ? Didn't see it yet but the seller claims "like new". I don't have a FD-Nex adapter so I won't be able to test the IQ on Nex (testing lens operation should be easy enough without a camera).

It offers extra 35mm (along with extra weight) to my MD 35-70/3.5 Macro, which is my most favorite lens for outside / not running.

How does the IQ compare ?

2. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Just got one yesterday after some readings about it. Some claim it is a kinda stack of FD primes more than a zoom. Hence, with a lot of expectations I bought one. Did some quick tests this morning on my A7, comparing it to my 35/2, 50/1.4 and 100/2.8 at several apertures. Honestly my primes are all sharper especially at the edges and corners. Moreover it has some vignetting at 35 (albeit easily corrected in LR).
    Not to say it has a bad IQ but at 100% and 200% crop the primes easily win. Contrast on the other hand is good. Didn't test the macro function. CA is OK.
    I also own the MD which seems better in terms of sharpness although I should actually and deeply compare both. At least the FD has almost no distortion at 35 compared to the MD and the extra focal range is worth.
    I plan to make some more tests this week to decide wether I keep it
    or not.
    Hope this helps

• Like Like x 1
  3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I don't get down deep into pixel peeping for lens comparisons, however I will say that I do run thorough functional & sharpness tests upon arrival whenever I get a new lens. And that said, I have a Canon FD 35-105/3.5 that I use on my NEX-7 and its an outstanding lens as far as I'm concerned.

PS: if you've cover the $6.50 I think it is for the small USPS Flat Rate box, I'll send you / give you a perfectly good Fotodiox FD / NEX adapter as a gesture of good will and you'll be able to test / use that lens right away.

The worry I had with it is that it's the 'tripod foot' style and I'd seen a number of posts where using a heavy lens, the thin tripod foot would break off.
    (In fact I have a thread about here somewhere with photos)
    Since I normally use longer heavier lenses I bought a much stronger more robust tripod foot style FD/NEX adapter to eliminate the risk.

Shoot me a PM me if you're interested...

4. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    @roundball

Thanks for the offer, the seller is MIA so far...

@ izTheViz

Well, the MD35-70/3.5 is actually a stack of primes :) an incredibly sharp lens that somehow manages to render very soft / glowing skin.

5. JudyM

JudyM TalkEmount Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    Maryland
    I have the FD 35-105mm, but I don't have the MD35-70mm to compare it to. I've used the FD 35-105mm on my micro four thirds cameras quite a bit and have been very pleased with the results. It's easy to focus manually, even standing on a rocking boat. It produces nice colors and contrast. The macro function is nice to have in a pinch, although I wouldn't buy it solely for that purpose. $50 is a fair price in good condition. Make sure it comes with caps and lens hood, as they can be expensive to buy separately.

For an idea of size:
    13069684733_9fa7761197_c. 20140310_13 by j.murphy2, on Flickr

13069933613_0d8cbdc0d0_c. 20140310_9 by j.murphy2, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    What is MIA?

7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Well, speaking of missing in action...after posting I went scrounging through my stuff for the little Fotodiox FD/NEX adapter and so far can't put my hands on it...I have another carton in the attic I'll get down and look through this weekend.

8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Well, I'm embarrassed to say I cannot find either (yes, 2) of the Fotodiox FD/NEX tripod adapters I thought I had left.
    I had gone through back & forth returns & exchanges with Fotodiox as they kept changing the manufacturing design in attempts to get a stronger foot attachment point...and after all the dust settled had it in my head that I still had 2 left over.
    Either I'm not recalling the final outcome correctly, or I put them in a special place so I'd be sure to remember where they were :rolleyes:
    My apologies...

9. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Just understood (yeah I know took me a while but I left the lens on a shelf till then) why mine is crap. Back from holidays and I was kind of fed up changing lenses all the time. Moved back to it to check what's wrong with it. The aperture blades are stuck and the lens remains wide open....Tried to figure how out to fix it but could not find any manual so far to help me disassemble it. It is a 72mm, a zoom and I really don't know whether I get to the blades from the top or the rear...
    Paid it 89 euros and I don't think it is worth bringing it to a shop. They will probably me charge me as much as I paid it, or not too far away.
    Does anybody know how can I reach the blades ?