1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon FD

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by hebg, Sep 29, 2011.

1. hebg

hebg New to TalkEmount

Sep 29, 2011
    I've got a bunch of Canon FD lenses that I'd like to use on the NEX-3. I noticed on eBay that there are different variations of FD adapters. Do you guys/gals think one brand/version is better than another? Are there differences in quality between them. I'm liking the one that has a tripod foot but I wonder if it's sturdy. Should I just go for the cheapest one?

2. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    This is the FD adaptor that I use,..it was the cheapest one I could find on ebay, came from China in about 4 days and was £12. It has been entirely satisfactory in use. You must fit to lens with the stop down ring in the 'open' position otherwise you can't close/adjust aperture with lens fitted.

P1030431.

3. hebg

hebg New to TalkEmount

Sep 29, 2011
    Thanks Bugleone! Do you have any sample images with FD glass? I have a 50mm f/1.4 that I'm looking forward to using again. Kind of wish I didn't sell my 500mm Mirror lens now, I never thought I'd use it again!

4. jebuskrust

jebuskrust TalkEmount Regular

Sep 16, 2011
    Limassol, Cyprus
    If it was me, I would go for the one with tripod foot. I have no 3rd party lenses so others would know better. However for such a bulky lenses definitely I would want to mount it steady on a tripod

5. heatherthevet

heatherthevet TalkEmount Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    Mine was whichever was cheapest, unbranded. I've never had any complaints at all, and I love my FD lenses. It's a great game!

6. hebg

hebg New to TalkEmount

Sep 29, 2011
    Thanks everyone, I think I'll get whatever is cheapest.

7. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    John
    I got a number of my M4/3 adapters from Rainbowimage......

8. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Mine just arrived in the mail! :)
    Just a generic one that came from Hong Kong, USD$19.50 free delivery, which arrived in 9 days. Happy with it, works as it should.

In saying that, there are FD adaptors that seem not so well made judging from the eBay pics, so I did my homework and picked what I thought looked best mechanically - so not the cheapest but only by a few dollars.

Here's mine:

FD-NEX.

I was looking for one that also had a chromed-brass interface at the body side, but couldn't find any. Since the legacy lens is likely to be mated to the adapter most of the time, the brass bayonet should've been on the body side which would be where the 'wear' would occur the most?

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I have three, (MD), adapters all from Ebay. Two were no name and one was a rainbow imaging. All have been perfect and I can not tell the difference.

I did have one bad adapter come, but it was immediately replaced.