1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

canon FD-nex adapter. A question

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Austrokiwi, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Austrokiwi

Austrokiwi TalkEmount Regular

Feb 2, 2014
    22nd District Vienna
    Ian Fenn
    I was lucky to pick up a good example of a canon FD 200mm F4 macro lens. Its a monster and so far its impressed me( I'm using an A7r). I purchased a novoflex adapter. Many of you already know( I didn't) FD lenses have an auto-aperture setting and to be used manually you may have to do some minor ( non-destructive) fiddling with the mount. When the adapter arrived I was really keen to take some photos I didn't read the instructions(my bad) but with beginners luck I actually fitted the adapter the correct way and the manual aperture ring worked as I expected. Of course a day or so later I swapped lenses so I took the adapter of the lens and then when I put it back on( now I know: incorrectly) the aperture appeared to be stuck at F4. There was a bit of a panic for a while and then I decided to read the instructions that came with the adapter With relief I discovered why there was a white dot and a red dot on the adapter for fitting the adapter to the FD lens. This led me to take more note of the adapter connection. The adapter I have locks into the camera and the lens but allows a small amount of twisting( less than 2 degrees) of the lens. Its not effecting pictures but given the cost of novoflex adapter is it an issue? I half suspect it relates to the vagaries of the auto/manual aperture FD mount. Has any one had a similar experience. Should I be asking for a replacement adapter?

2. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    I have a very inexpensive NEX/FD adaptor which was £12 on ebay, and it holds the lenses succinctly and acurately without any play. It also gives a trusted infinity setting of the lenses.

It's quite common to read on the web about adaptors being inaccuate in register distance...ie not placing the lens at the 'true' distance from the image plane and thus making the focussing scale inaccurate.

Novoflex are pricey products so one could reasonably ask that they get things right, especially since our Chinese friends can obviously do so in a cheap adaptor.......

3. suntoryjim

suntoryjim TalkEmount Regular

May 17, 2013
    I've bought various cheapo adapters in F, MD, FD, AR, and M mounts from Fotasy, Fotodiox, Prost, and Fotga. The Fotasy brand seems to reach hard inifinty stop most accurately of the bunch on my AR lenses, while the others go past infinity. I'd say about half of them fit too loose on my lenses, but were easily rectified by prying open the mount flanges on the adapter with a tiny flat-tip screwdriver.

Pick up a cheap adapter and give it a try. If you see no discernible difference in image quality between the Novo and Cheapo adapters, then return the Novo and put the money you saved into more FD lenses.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Austrokiwi

Austrokiwi TalkEmount Regular

Feb 2, 2014
    22nd District Vienna
    Ian Fenn
    I may well do that;try for a cheap adapter. I have infinity focus fine its just the lens twists(turns) very slightly in the adapter.

5. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    Big_is are the best I have found in the case of build quality and robustnest of mount and hold, not sure about infinity focus, looks fine to me but I never do landscapes sorry! My oldest Fotga adapter has had to be binned because its become hilariously loose with use over a year or 2. but the Big_is are still dirt cheap, I think £7 each as opposed to 5 for the fotga (lol)

EDIT: should have said I shoot almost exclusively with manual focus canon fd lenses, some are massive and heavy and the cheap "Big_is" handles the big lenses just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    checked this morning no problem with infinity focus, taken with canon fd55mm F1.2 at about f4, focus at infinity

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/mathieu_decodts_photography/12659583815/player/0b68a150d0" height="1024" width="681" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    i have a cheap fotasy fd-nex adapter that also has a very slight lens rotation, even after everything is locked down... i just now looked at an fdn 24mm f2.8 on it, but i haven't confirmed the rotation with any other fdn lens.

i think that the important thing is that the lens isn't able to come off, and that the distance from the sensor to the back glass doesn't change with the slight rotation... it shouldn't be a problem.

i know that you already figured out how to get the aperture working, i also had the same problem, here is a pic of how the aperture pins engage, for whoever else is learning how to mount fdn lenses to nex adapters:

canon-fdn-lens-mount-to-sony-nex-a7r-adapter.

8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I've read somewhere (but can't find it now) that Novoflex adapters are deliberately 0.07mm short to guarantee infinity focus; can't find anything about that though on the Novoflex site. I've never had problems with Novoflex adapters and whatever lens in terms of not being able to focus at infinity, but often the distance scale ends up at a finite value a little before the infinity mark.

OTOH, I had to order a second cheap adapter for my Konica 40/1.8 because the first one didn't get the lens to infinity by a very small margin, the second one did and only then I knew the first one was very slightly long. That second one allowed focussing "past infinity" so that I'm sure that I get the best performance of the lens at long range. So I want my adapters to be a little bit short, it also makes focussing at far away objects easier because you can go back and forth around optimum focus.

• Like Like x 1