1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Canon FD 80-200 / F4.0 - L

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by roundball, Dec 9, 2013.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Anyone have any experience with this lens ?

2. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Well, I guess I'll have to be the one who posts experiences with it, LOL...have always wanted this "L" version and finally bit the bullet on one in mint condition...be here soon and I'll see if I can find anything photogenic during the next few weeks

3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    It should be optically very good. No personal experience. How much did you pay?

4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Yes, understand the optical quality...my FD 300/F4.0's are L models and they're outstanding.
    I got this from a dealer I've bought a couple other lenses from during the past year and his descriptions have always been perfectly spot on...description for this one is as follows:

Excellent + condition!
    Body lens: Little sign of use, no dents, no dings
    Optically: Light dust, no scratches, no haze, no fungus
    Focus and zoom: Smooth
    Aperture blades: Clean, oil free, working properly
    $335

5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Not cheap but it may be very good purchase. I think that quality old lenses will be much more expensive in future and availability limited.

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Yes, the "L" designation does drive the price up some...most of this particular lens...in this kind of condition...are running in the very high 300's to mid 400's.
    Once I get this in operation, I'll no longer need a spare FD 70-210/4.0 macro I have and will probably move it out...probably a spare FD 300/4.0 as well...offset the cost of this

7. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

I'll be looking forward to hearing how this lens does, too! Nice and light weight. I'd consider one...

8. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    I'm also anxious to see some pics.

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    That's a good looking lens. Hope you get some great images.

10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Arrived an hour ago, a day early...precisely as described and shown in the photo / looks brand new.
    Ran off a couple dozen basic focus / zoom / aperture tests on random stuff around the yard.
    Perfect operation and outstanding IQ...

11. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    At FDreview they really don't much like the long end of tele zooms, L or no L. I suppose for birders corner performance doesn't really matter on these though. Really curious to see some samples!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

12. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    LOL...I hear ya...and this is not directed at you by the way.
    The reality is I'm in my hobby for "MY" satisfaction...don't really care what some pixel peeper on a website...who may or may not have a hidden agenda...thinks about what I use. There has always been a couple of camps.....those who think every lens ought to be a super fast <0.x prime...and those who think zooms are junk, etc...ad nauseam.

I think this photo is an excellent example of IQ / color rendition as I can expect.
    And I used (horrors) a zoom...and a slow one at that...hand held walking around an Arboretum.

Canon FD 70-150/4.5 on an NEX-7

• Like Like x 5
  13. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Online reviews are handy, but too often are tainted with personsl bias and opinions.

14. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thank you, my point exactly...I don't mind reading such opinions...and if any of them resonate I'll then go test / prove / disprove them for myself.

But as in this example, I knew that Canon FD zoom was made back during a time when Canon put out a family of zooms that have almost "L" like IQ and this FD 70-150/4.5 is one of those...like new, got it for the cost of a few burgers & fries from a place in England...doggone shipping was almost as much as the lens but its absolutely an outstanding lens.

Would it be my choice for an indoor dark theater / stage environment...of course not.
    But that day I went to the Arboretum was one of the brightest, most clear, full sunlight days that we could have, and knew any fast lens I used would be stopped down slower around 4.0 - 5.6 aperture anyway.
    Shot 99% of my photos at 150mm/4.5 and couldn't be more pleased...perfect for the subjects & conditions that day.

15. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    For some reason there are lots of good lenses in 70-150 zooms. I don't know if they share some common designs (but that optical length was probably easy to make). These are very handy as they are light weight and optically good enough. Very good value and combined with good 35mm-70mm legacy zoom and few primes will make quite good field kit.

16. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Totally agree...unless in a low light situation, I've always found them to be very useful.
    This is the Canon FD 70-150/4.5 I got at a very low cost...looks & operates like brand new...(hood slides out)...is an excellent combination on my NEX-7...used it for that Arboretum walk through.

• Like Like x 2
  17. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    OK, most of my hunting season is over...re-focusing (no pun intended) on photography...had a chance to test the new Canon FD 80-200/4.0 L lens I picked up in December.
    Shot this Cardinal hand held, through a Skylight filter, through the kitchen window, through the storm window, and still got great detail. Looks like the lens is a keeper as far as I'm concerned.

• Like Like x 3
  18. davegore2005

davegore2005 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    i have just bought what sounds like (i hope) a well looked after mint condition fd80-200mm, but to be honest i am not sure whether it has the L denomination, so i would be grateful if someone could explain the difference

for a bargain price of £26, should be here in a day or two so really quite looking forward to getting it and giving it a try

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANON-FD-...4s3i6vuxQ7GEo0gva1Wmg%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

that is the link to the sale if anyone can shed light on which model it is exactly

thanks

Dave

19. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    That's Canon's standard 80-200/4.0...and excellent lens.
    Canon puts a visual distinction on the 'L' lenses, which is a red line around the barrel, and a red letter 'L' printed right after the 80-200 1:4.0...(just down out of sight under the barrel in this photo)

20. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Someone else will probably chime in on this - basically Canon 'L' series lenses have higher quality elements than their standard consumer counterparts. They are regarded as the 'pro' end of the Canon line and feature fluorite ( correct ? ) elements as well as ultra low dispersion properties. Generally they are 'faster' in any given focal length than the standard version of the lens.