1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon FD 75-200 good buy at $40?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ErickSaint, Sep 4, 2012.

1. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    New to the Nex and actually still haven't gotten one yet. A friend is upgrading to a 7, so I'm going to be getting a decent price on his old 5. I have been in the process of gathering some lenses for it as they seem to show up at decent prices.

This one showed up on the local craigslist. I won an MD adapter along with 2 lenses on ebay, as well as just bought one from amazon because they were on sale cheap and not thinking I would win the auction. So I could return that and get the FD adapter for only a few bucks.

Does this look reasonable?
    CANON ZOOM FD 75-200mm f/4.5 MACRO LENS WITH CAPS AND HOOD

Thanks for helping out a new guy. My last decent camera was a film EOS.

2. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Heh buying lenses before the camera is an interesting strategy. If you really need the zoom and you're comfortable with manual, $40 is a no-brainer, the cheapest native E-mount zooms are the SEL55210 and Tamron 18-200 at about 10x the price or more (and certainly not 10x the performance).

I stole my dad's old Tokina 70-210 FD mount (the thing is built like a tank, it just feels great - but it does make my 5N feel like a flimsy piece of plastic beside it) but I'm waiting for the adapter to come in from Ebay. I've also got the SEL18200LE to compare it with. Unfortunately, I can't tell you how good legacy zooms compare until then!

Perhaps you could also ask the seller to show some pictures of the glass, it's hard to say what the condition of the lens is but the body looks superb. I'm still not convinced about going for the ultra-long zooms with NEX. It just doesn't feel right, and hand shake with a heavy lens is a really big problem because the balance is so far off - you need a tripod for most 200mm shots.

3. CWL

CWL TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2012
    Cumbria UK
    Chee
    Do you have experience of manual focus lenses? I have 4 manual focus lens and really enjoy using them, I feel more involved with the process of snapping the image.

I picked up a Canon 70-210 FD lens a few weeks ago off my brother (great build quality and free!), at first I was unsure where I would use it apart from a bit of macro stuff. I decided to try it out down in the Lake district in Cumbria UK on a few boats in the lake and a bit of street. Love the lens and with a bit of practise you can get some good shots (handheld) so decided to take it on a trip to London last week. Great for street stuff as I'm not brave enough to get close!

Handling is not a problem for me at all, I hold the lens with my left hand and I'm able to focus at the same time and it feels very balanced and stable. Overall very happy with it and need to get out more and get more practise in. Although my lens was free, I would be happy to have paid for it.

IMG_0344.
    IMG_0375.
    IMG_0386.
    IMG_0389.
    DSC04986.

4. ErickSaint

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    Yeah, putting the cart before the horse by stocking lenses first, but the camera is paid for already. Just waiting for my friend to get his 7 then ship me his 5, so the deal will happen. I have a Tamron 70

As to the manual focus. I'll admit, I'm not very familiar or fluent with it. When I was using my EOS on a regular basis I would say a quarter of the time I spent in manual modes. But that is what draws me to the NEX. The ability to "relearn" as it were, because it's been so long since using anything other than point and shoot stuff, with a manual lens and manual modes on the camera. More than willing to try. That's the great thing about digital, you can shoot a million pics and not worry about paying developing costs while you learn. This is what discouraged me back with the EOS.

The guy in this ad lives in the same burb as me according to his location, so it's probably relatively close to go take a look at it in person and check condition of glass.

5. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    Well the Tokina 70-210 is smaller but actually heavier than the SEL18-200LE (my dad says in the 80s the Tokina was touted as one of the lightest zooms in its class - I'm assuming it's at least comparable to the Canons in weight). And the ergonomics is different too - with the old manual zoom consists of simply pulling it in and out, with the 18-200LE you have to twist, and that means focusing (if not auto) is done with your third or fourth finger if you don't want to reposition your hand after you've framed your shot which is quite awkward because you're also supporting most of the weight of the camera in this hand (and also with the front-loaded weight, repositioning your hand *will* move the camera considerably). I'm really keen to try out the Tokina because it works very differently and I want to see if it's actually more comfortable to handle.

All of this of course does not apply with a tripod. :)

6. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Using a tripod on the NEX with a long legacy zoom lens scares me. I always wonder if the mount and adapter can handle the torque. Would almost prefer a lens with it's own tripod mount.

7. ErickSaint

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    For some reason part of my first paragraph got cut off. I have an EOS Tamron 75-300, so I am sort of familiar with the controls and weightyness (is that even a word?) of it, though not as heavy as the legacy lenses I'm sure. I'm most likely going to sell off the Tamron with a matching 1.4x teleconverter on ebay or CL to fund either another nicer e mount lens or a decent backpack for carting it all around.

Weather my friend buys a NEX 7 kit or body only will determine if I get a kit lens or not. I may be shooting manual exclusively until a good deal comes up on a kit lens if I went that route.

I definitely have a tripod planned quezra, it's one of the things that seems to have gotten lost a move or two ago. But it wasn't a very good one anyway, just a cheapie from best buy. I have my eyes on this one from Manfrotto, but would also like something smaller and lightweight for hiking. But small and lightweight seems to equal more money than I want to spend for banging it around the woods and trials.

Amazon.com: Manfrotto 055XPROB with 496RC2 Head and Two Replacement Quick Release Plates for Rapid Connect Adapter: Camera & Photo

8. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    Yeah I've been thinking about this, especially because the FD adapter is one of the fatter ones. It may just end up being a really long macro lens. And even if I only get to use it with the kit canon 50 it'll still be a bonus that cost me the price of an adapter for otherwise pristine 80s glass (my dad literally had these sitting in a drybox for nearly the last 20 years - and because he had a Yashica at the same time and later an auto Minolta, he tended to use those more so the A-1 looked like new, I could not believe my eyes)

9. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    I have the Canon FD 70 to 210mm f4 and I would NEVER trust the NEX lens mount with the weight (actually the leverage) as it's quite a heavy lens and extends far from the mount so increasing the leverage. These heavy lenses must be supported as teh NEX mount is considrably smaller and thinner than the FD mount and the NEX bodies are diminutive and plastic.

10. ErickSaint

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    I have seen some aftermarket tripod lens clamps around Ebay and Amazon, are these a reasonable option for this problem? I don't think I would ever trust the weight of this lens to be supported by the body or adapter.

11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Looks like a great deal. Sounds like you are ready to get going.

I currently have 4 manual lenses and love them. I only use the stock lens if there might be the occasion to shoot some videos.

12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Been using a 70-150mm with no issue what so ever. It seems odd, but works perfectly with no strain on the connections.

13. ErickSaint

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    I've got rent due this week (grumble, grumble...need to win a lottery) but if I have something extra after I may try to set up a meeting to look at it. Would be nicer if I could just go hook it up to my camera and try it out. But even if the stars don't align this week, I think I have seen this lens listed here before.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

14. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Hi Erick... while I was searching for FD-NEX adaptors on eBay a while back, I came across some adapters that came with Tripod Mounts. I steered away from these as my Canon legacys are all short primes. I don't know how strong these tripod fixtures are (they're only attached by two little screws), but at least they should take the strain away from the NEX body and also redistribute the camera's balance on a tripod, although by only a small degree. If you do a search for "FD-NEX adaptor tripod mount" you'll find plenty of them. Personally I think these are only suitable for shorter telephoto lenses but I could be wrong.
    E60055_1.
    I haven't been able to find any tripod lens clamps on eBay that you mentioned... but I can imagine that a properly built one that clamps around the adapter barrel itself (not the lens, as it would interfere with focusing and zooming) with a longer, more forward offset for the tripod screw - would be more ideal for really long and really heavy telephotos.

A tripod mounted NEX body might be strong enough to handle your FD75-200, but I too feel uneasy about the possible strain.

15. ErickSaint

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    The term I was looking for was collar not clamp. Just as an idea what I was referring too. Of course having the lens in hand would make that decision easier.

tripod collar | eBay

I have heard very mixed things about the adapters with the mount screwed to them. I have heard of the screw holes leading to light leaks.

Not sure how much I would use this lens, as I never really used my tamron one a whole lot. But it would suck to get to the top of a bluff on a hike and miss a good "further away" shot because I didn't pull the trigger on a cheap buy. I guess it's all for nothing if I dont have the cash free:( Time to get that tamron listed somewhere.

16. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Thanks for that link Erick... I've actually been looking for those sort of collars. Pretty good prices too!

17. ErickSaint

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    No problem. After I posted I looked through them a bit more. Looking at the adapter I just got for MD, it would be cool to find one of those collars that fit the barrel of an adapter. Takes the possible light leak from the screws, and the possible weakness of the screws completely out of the equation. guess the hardest part that that point would be getting the collar and cam level to each other.

18. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    Update: The FD adapter + Tokina 70-210 is actually ok mountwise, no real sense of strain holding up the lens, but it is heavy! It's also dark-ish, I don't know if I'm using it wrong, but it seems darker than my LE at 200mm/f6.3 even though I think it's f5.6 at the long end.

Without OSS, it's really hard to use, and I don't think I'll bother much with it. I haven't really had the time to take this lens out for a spin in daylight (damn life!) but not sure I really would want to. Definitely not going to go in the travel bag for now.

19. ErickSaint

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    Thanks for the update. I didn't end up getting this one, my deal had fallen through for the 5 I was going to get. So now I'm saving scraps to get the 5n. I probably would never consider using something like this handheld, tripod only. And probably wouldn't be an every day carry either. Maybe for taking full moon pics.

20. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    It does make a pretty decent 70mm portrait shooter, but I suppose I could probably find a lighter lens for that purpose :)