canon fd 7.5mm

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by lensguy1, Mar 23, 2017.

1. lensguy1

lensguy1 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 23, 2017
    Two Rivers Wi
    David Heilmna
    Hi New Member here, will take time to introduce myself and post images later for now I need a bit of help. I shoot canon fd primes on a Sony a7ii and use the lee 100mm filter system. I have a canon 7.5 mm fisheye that I need a Lee W/A adaptor for which means I need to know the thread size on the screw in lens cap. I went to my trusty Tiften chart but no luck, lens not listed. An exhaustive google search has not turned up the answer either. Anyone here know the answer?

Thanks
    Dave

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    The Canon FD 7.5mm fisheye has an angle of view of 180ยบ and therefore filters cannot be used on this lens. It has some built-in filters, I don't know if it's possible to exchange these but graduated filters for instance are out of the question.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  3. lensguy1

Mar 23, 2017
    Two Rivers Wi
    David Heilmna
    Thanks for the response I am aware of this , however is has a screw in lens cap so there are threads there. The Lee 67mm WA adaptor fits but it is just a bit to small to attach. I know this can be done i just need to know the thread size of that cap

4. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

It's a non-standard threading in terms of traditional filter sizes. Unless you have a machine shop custom machine an adapter for you, you're not going to be able to do it. Canon intentionally made it a weird thread size to discourage people from doing what you're trying to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I'm not sure what effect you're going for with the Lee filter, but would the Smooth Reflection app from Sony do what you want? I've had great success with it, to the point where I no longer bother bringing my ND filters with me when I'm shooting long exposures.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. lensguy1

Mar 23, 2017
    Two Rivers Wi
    David Heilmna
    Thanks MAubrey I kinda of thought that might that might be the case. I could let my local friendly machine shop make some money off of me again but by starting with the screw on cap and a Lee 68 W/A adaptor I think making my own would be a fairly straight forward process. again thanks for the response.

7. lensguy1

Mar 23, 2017
    Two Rivers Wi
    David Heilmna
    Thanks woodWorks. I have never tried that. Would like to try my big stopper on it yes but also my hard grad and polarizer. What I do with the big stopper and hard grad ND is long exposure HDR the example I will try to include here, still a newby to posting here, is 6 images at f22 and Iso 50 with my 17mm. The total exposure is 31 mn. 16spring-135.

• Like Like x 5
  8. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Forgive my ignorance, but what's "mn?" Minutes?

And FWIW, I bet the Smooth Reflections app would easily provide the basis for a great shot like that. Of course, you'd have to supply the HDR magic. :D

9. lensguy1

Mar 23, 2017
    Two Rivers Wi
    David Heilmna
    Yep minutes it is. About the only way to achieve that is with at least 5mn per exposure. Even at ISO 50 and f22 you really need the ND. Never tried that app, will have to check into it. Thanks for the info.

10. lensguy1

Mar 23, 2017
    Two Rivers Wi
    David Heilmna
    @WoodsWorks Did some research on the app last night looks interesting. If I understand how it works I would have had to do 300 exposures to create that black and white image. Seems daunting but then again between photographing and post I have well over 2 hours into that image,

11. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Hm. I'll admit that I don't have any idea why you had to do 31 mins. of total exposure time to achieve the effect you have in that photo. Perhaps you can clue me in.

In any case, I've done my share of long exposure photos, and I would expect to get an essentially identical look in a much shorter time.

The Smooth Reflections app has some presets you can use, but also allows for your own "custom" setup, in which you specify the number of shutter activations, and their individual length. Then you just activate the shutter and sit back and let it do its thing. The result is a single raw file that you can then manipulate to your heart's desire.

Here's one I did last year. It's a different kind of subject, but it combined a total of 128 individual shots into one raw file. The whole thing took less than 2 mins.

27196270953_6867b0b259_b.
    Megler Bridge - Astoria.jpg
    by David Wood, on Flickr

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. lensguy1

Mar 23, 2017
    Two Rivers Wi
    David Heilmna
    @WoodWorks@WoodWorks In the case of the black and white it was to capture tonal range and the fact that there were people walking in an out of the image and I wanted to make sure they were not seen. This app is worth checking into. If it will produce results like the image att. I am on board. This was 3 images with a total exposure of about 7 mn. which is closer to what I do the black and white was an extreme example. Again thanks very much for the info! 16summer-110.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I don't see anything in that image that couldn't be achieved with the app, other than having the eye to see that great composition in the first place. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. lensguy1

Mar 23, 2017
    Two Rivers Wi
    David Heilmna
    Thanks am going to give it a try.