1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Canon FD 50mm f/1.2 L

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by DigitalD, Jan 5, 2015.

1. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    I'm not surprised that this is a brand new thread, though a little saddened that more people don't own this lens. (If there is a thread somewhere I apologize, I couldn't find it) Ive had it for a little over a year and I can't say I have every shot with a better 50mm legacy lens. I purchased this lens on a "roll of the dice" best offer on ebay for about $650. I know its steep for a lens of this age but I couldn't be happier with it. I had tested a few 50mm on the A7 before this one including the Nokton 50mm 1.1, the Rokkor 50mm 1.4, Sony FE 55 1.8 and the FD 50mm 1.4. Each of those lenses are fabulous in their own right but this one just appealed to me so much it probably will never leave my bag. If I was to double down with another 50mm it would either be the FE 55 or the new Loxia 50 f/2. Though I would lean toward the FE to finally have an AF lens for my Sony rig :eek: ha!

A few people have asked if I ever used the Canon FL or FD 55 1.2 and alas, I have not. Though either of those would have been the next lens I would have tested if it wasn't for the 'deal' I got on this one. As far as I can tell looking closely at samples from the FD 55, its probably this lens' closest cousin. The 2 render very similarly albeit with different FL. I think the biggest difference would be in the bokeh. This lens is noticeably smoother then the both those lenses, where those lens exhibit slightly more nervous OOF areas in my opinion. Also the FL is an 'older' lens so finding one in good condition may take some doing. The FD 55 is hard to find in the US as most listings I have every seen are from Japan or HK. Probably the biggest reason why this lens is so rare is both of those lenses are about 1/3 the price of this lens these days, if not more, so I can see why most would opt out.

As far as capability, this lens is absolutely usable wide open on the A7 with very little CA or bloom which is surprising. Most of the shots below are shot wide open with the exception of the coral rock and my kids. My kids were at f2 the coral rock probably at about 5.6 or so. The focus ring is buttery smooth and has just the right amount of throw to get critical focus but isn't belaboring going from near to far quickly.

Below are a few of my favorites with this lens.

fonsecafoto-03927-X2.

fonsecafoto-02042-X2.

fonsecafoto-02043-X2.

fonsecafoto-02046-X2.

fonsecafoto-02066-X2.

fonsecafoto-03558-X2.

• Like Like x 11
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks for the great review and excellent photos David :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  3. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Thanks Nick!

4. CalBoy87

CalBoy87 TalkEmount Regular

Sep 13, 2014
    South Korea
    I am also very happy with it. Once I got A7R, it was crucial for me to find a nice replacement for EF 50L, which was my most frequently used lens on 5D3. I went through Nikon 50/1.2, Pentax 50/1.2, Canon 55/1.2. Although all were very nice, none of them were sharp enough wide open. I was on the fence between FD 50L and FD 50/1.2 Aspherical. As I got good deal on the 50L I jumped on it and I am home now. Still have FE 55/1.8 for native mount, AF and EXIF, but most of the time my choice is Canon FD 50L.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Thanks for these, David. Looks like this is going to be an excellent thread! You've made a great start.

I have every intention of owning this lens, but it will likely not be until 2016 unless an absurdly good deal falls into my lap.

• Like Like x 1
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Well represented with some nice shots.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the comments.

A few things I forgot to mention about this lens was that it also has very low distortion. Most 50s are pretty good in this area but this lens is great when it comes to it. Also the size of this lens is actually one of the smallest FDs I own. Its smaller then the 24 f2.8, 35 f2 and the 100 f2.8. However its also one of the heftiest ounce per centimeter (thats EU friendly right there) ;)

Here are a few more from today actually. With the kids back in school and me still on vacation a did a little 'walkabout' in the Redlands today. :cool:

fonsecafoto-04123-X2.

fonsecafoto-04088-X2.

fonsecafoto-04145-X2.

• Like Like x 6
  8. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Excellent shots and color. FD L versions are a good deal compared to the more expensive EF L versions...

• Like Like x 1
  9. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Thanks serhan! I feel the same way. As long as you're not afraid of manual focus, FD lenses really provide a lot of capability for lenses over 30-40 years old! Got to give some credit to those lens designers back in the day!

10. cvt01

cvt01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 3, 2015
    How does it compare to your EF 50L when it comes to IQ? Have you ever tried adapting the EF version? If so how did manual focus compare?
    I plan to get an A7 and pretty much retire my old 1Ds II (can't bear its weight anymore). My only fear is that I do not find anything comparable to my 35L and 50L. I'm thinking about adapting those if I can't find something which have the same IQ.

11. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    I think if you already own those lenses then I would invest in the metabones Electronic EF to E mount adaptor. You will get Aperture and Auto focus capability. I'm sure they would render just as well on the A7. If I'm not mistaken the EF 50 is based on the same aspherical lens design as the FD.

Worst case if you hate it, the adaptor will hold it's value used and you can still sell the lenses to fund something else [emoji2] whether it's this lens or the FE 55 1.8 which is a phenomenal lens. Or even the loxia 50 f/2 which is shaping up to be a remarkable little lens with that zeiss micro-contest. If your not afraid of adapted lenses or manual focus you really have a lot of options. The beauty of the Sony mirror-less design [emoji6]

• Like Like x 1
  12. CalBoy87

CalBoy87 TalkEmount Regular

Sep 13, 2014
    South Korea
    Once I switched to a7R I still had FE 50L. AF was painfully slow, but what really bothered me was the size and weight of the lens, while it was OK on 5D3, it look monstrous on tiny Sony. I got FD 50L and while didn't compare both side by side, similar shots look very close to my eyes, par more resolution from Sony. Even since I sold all EF L lenses, and replaced them with FD, which are cheaper and smaller. AF with adapters was very slow with EF lenses and this would be the only advantage to me over FD. Now I have FD 50L, 85L, 135/2 and 200/2.8. 50 and 85 look same to me in EF as in FD. 135 isn't as good as EF 135L, but is not much behind. 200/2.8 look a tiny bit less sharp, but it may be copy variation.
    As for 35L, I never had this lens. As I got FE 35, I like the size/weight, but it was too slow for me. I got Voigtlander Nokton 35/1/2 II and couldn't be happier.
    For me all comes down to convenience of AF. If you need it, you may hold on to EF, if not, I personally don't see reason to keep them around, unless you are planning to get other Canon DLSR in the future.

• Like Like x 2
  13. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    The light of my life

i-hXjvz2g-X2.

• Like Like x 4
  14. greywater

greywater TalkEmount Regular

Sep 28, 2014
    Excellent photograph and sentiment.

15. Lisandra

Lisandra TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    If anyone is on the fence about this lens it is AMAZING I regret every single second that has gone since I sold mine

14303822706_19eb98ef02_b.

• Like Like x 7
  16. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    very nice.